What is Really Happening Around The States??

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 26th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Correction....50k increase after 9 years....bought for 109k.........

Don't get me wrong...I bought one there for 232k ...but see much better areas to invest than Adelaide.

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Ah I just recall you saying its not gone up, 50% in 9 years is better than $0!

There are certainly places to invest better than Adelaide, and certainly worse places too. Entirely up to the individual and their goals and available cash. Didn't you buy in the north east recently?

3. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

If you want stellar 20%+ increase per year for 3 years in Sydney, yes, 2013 was the best year for buying.
    However it wasn't obvious, even for most SS forums if you read back some of the SS post on Sydney 2013 circa..most believed it was too late to get in.
    PC/SS can make you or break you...each to their agenda really.

4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes...for 232k...not much in the Northeast under 320k now...lucky purchase....

DaveM likes this.
  5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Great buy by the sounds of it!

6. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

No offense, but to me a licensed opinion doesn't mean a lot. The price the house is sold for - means everything. It's like a stock, it's valued by the market at 10 bucks, but nobody wants to buy it until it reaches 7 (when you want to sell it - there are no buyers at your values).

Last edited by a moderator: 29th Aug, 2016
  7. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

So nothing has even an approxinate value until it is traded?

Does that apply to stock too? How would a shop owner value his inventory then if its worthless when held and onlu woeth something when solf but then of course no longer in his possession?

Youre talking residential real estate not the theory of relativity. Its a pretty simple abd basic topic and for someone who seemingly derides a lot of the fanatical support for it due to it not making sense youre just as guilty of the same behaviour only youre on the other side of the fence.

If youre going to be righteous at least be on point.

hobo and Cactus like this.
  8. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

@barnes

Not the same thing at all. A licensed opinion or a valuers opinion is based on comparable sales. Typically of a recent nature.

How that is like a stock trading at $10 with people apparently waiting for it to drop 30% I don't know.

Dave is valuing a property he owns based on compareables and as a LREA I am sure he is capable of doing this well.

Sounds like words from a hoper, a hoper that prices are going to fall by 30%+.

When are you selling your last property again....

DaveM likes this.
  9. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Wait is this the all debt of any kind is bad guy? If so im out, hes all yours @Cactus

Brady likes this.
  10. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

That's the one. The one that's selling his last IP and then leaving the forum. :rolleyes:

I'd be interested in buying it...;)

Brady likes this.
  11. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Don't worry I will leave this forum sooner.:) No need to waste my time here anymore.

D.T. likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

.....but Barnes no need to leave, we don't want a forum which is Vanilla, how boring, we need people who actually challenge us, our ideas, because no one is perfect and we may actually sometimes get it wrong, surely this is how we learn.

MTR:)

13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

No need to do that. I don't agree with many of your posts but whether or not we agree on anything doesn't matter. Keep posting, challenging existing opinion is worthwhile as it makes people question their own strategies.

14. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Its fine to challenge and put forward different opinions, but the whole anti-debt thing gets a bit tiring. Especially when coupled with arguments about how poor the returns in property are.

The whole attraction to property as a means of growing wealth is the leverage you can get.

hobo likes this.
  15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

:(

16. Perthguy

I don't find it tiring.

@barnes likes to run debt free. I like to buy at a 105% lend.

There is no right and wrong. What @barnes taught me is that you have to do what is right for you. And because of a couple of smart operators like @barnes, I deleveraged at the right time which enabled me to pick up a great deal that I would have missed otherwise.

Satya likes this.
  17. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

I agree.
    If you can afford to grow your wealth without debt then that is brilliant. Unfortunately for me if I only invested my money, it would take too long to achieve my target.

Perthguy likes this.
  18. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Should we all hold gold? Which of course doesn't fluctuate in price. You are a fool.

19. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with deleveraging, and I think as you entire retirement it's very wise.

However to say debt is bad is a bit misleading when even Barnes acknowledges eventually he used debt to grow wealth and now can deleverage.

Good luck growing a multi property portfolio you can retire on and replace your income without leverage unless you plan on working for 200 years.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Perthguy

I'm not averse to using debt to grow a portfolio. You just need to understand debt and how it can work for you at different times in your investing journey. When someone says 'all debt is bad' you don't have to take it personally, I don't. But then I don't really listen to other people too much... I sold in Melbourne when people said 'don't sell' and bought in Perth when people said 'you would be crazy to buy in Perth right now' ;)

Cactus likes this.