What is it with Queensland (Mostly GC)?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hammer, 20th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Ah the Gold Coast. The only place in Australia where there are more sharks on land than sea.

Bondy, Skase, Palmer, Foster....even a few of my old bosses on the Gold Coast have that particular slightly-to-highly-dodgy-yet-outwardly-highly-successful personality trait that seems to manifest in SE Queensland.

Even businesses like Bast*rdCard, Nimble finance, more than a few "colleges", Crimsafe etc all have that faint whiff of something finned and toothy swimming just under the surface.

Anyway, I was wondering....what is it about Queensland and in particular the Gold Coast that seems to attract/grow this type of mindset?

I know there are dodgy people everywhere and yes, there are thousands of good honest people on the Gold Coast....but it is hard to deny that there seems to be some sort of link between the GC and the odd "creative" business method.

I suspect it has a bit to do with the "Jo" years, the great weather and beaches of the GC and the fact that as a city it is built on dreams rather than Industry per se....but that's just my theory..

Anyone else?

2. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Not sure as to why it's like that, hammer. :(

I always thought it was a sunny place for shady people. Now where did I put my gold chains and white shoes :D

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Sun, sand, and sex...same worldwide.

4. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I've lived close by for a long time and I feel this whole rough reputation is only a recent thing. It's always had a reputation but it only got bad with the bikers and stuff recently. I've always thought it had to do with the GFC. When the AUD sky rocketed, tourism died, prices fell, and the lower socioeconomic groups moved in.

5. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Shades of Vegas.
    People turning up from everywhere in the world with their money for a week or 2 in the sun and the sand. Sharks circle to relieve them of their holiday $$$.

Bran likes this.
  6. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

There is that Miami-esque vibe about the Gold Coast. I dont know... as others mentioned, the warm climate, beach, general 'plastic' feel?

7. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yeah..correct...although miami has cleaned up a lot though. Lots of big businesses operating out of there thesedays...especially banks- its one of the biggest financial centres in the US...wanting to cash in on the huge wealth coming out of emerging south american countries.

Last edited: 21st Apr, 2016