What is "income tax expense"

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Cimbom, 16th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I've just consolidated my two super accounts into one with PSSap. I have noticed that every fortnight when my employer pays super into this account, $70 is deducted as an "income tax expense". I am pretty clueless about super - can someone please explain what this is and if it's something that all funds charge? I'm not paying anything extra into the fund myself. Thanks

2. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

Is it 15% tax on your contribution? You could test by divide your fortnight’s employer contribution by .15 to see if matched

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Yes it is - is that standard? Sorry if it's a dumb question

4. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Never mind. Found it

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Typically super funds will tax employer contributions on receipt. At 15%. For others (like self employed) the member must nominate the deductible amount and then the tax is deducted at that time. It is often given a date of 30 June to retain the tax deducted within that same financial period. The deduction can occur after 30 June in some cases.

At year end the fund will allocate earnings and a share of tax on earnings which can even be a credit (ie refund of excess franking). This can sometimes occur at 30 June or after and is often given a 30 June date when it occurs after that date.