Technology & Social Media What is Artificial Intelligence ..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 17th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Lol
    Those motorised horses called cars will never replace real horses.

The telephone is an interesting invention but has no commercial interest.

Robots are taking "our" jobs

So much fear around growth and moving forward

If fear ruled we would all still be communicating in smoke signals. Fear would never rule but may cause temporary setbacks.

willair and Perthguy like this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have been hearing these predictions since I was at uni in the 80's. Computers will take our jobs, people will have no work etc. etc. Of course it never happened. People are resilient and adapt to a changing world. Most of the time anyway. There are always some who choose to be left behind.

willair and Xenia like this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

But computers have taken our jobs and continue to. A simple example is manufacturing is often performed by robotics, rather than manual labour. Diverless cars are being developed which will eventually replace truck, bus and taxi drivers. Show me an industry in this country that isn't continually trying to become more efficient through the elimination of repetitive tasks by computers.

People certainly adapt, often by retraining in these new technologies, but there are lot of people who can't and end up unemployed.

samiam, willair and Perthguy like this.
  5. Perthguy

But it doesn't follow that people will have no work, which is what I was told. Computers would do all the work and people would have so much free time there would be a leisure crisis... people would not know what to do with all their free time. I had to write a serious academic essay on strategies to address the upcoming leisure crisis. I thought at the time it was nonsense. And what happened? Most of us are working longer hours, not less. With the advent of computerised workplaces came more work and more capacity to work. So we work more now, not less.

luckyone, samiam and willair like this.
  6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I want my robot!

It can have my job, just spent an hour in a tribunal hearing with tenant crying the entire time - financial stress, then half an hour on the phone with landlord crying because previous agent that I picked the property up from yesterday had put the tenant on periodic lease and did not advise the landlord on proper insurance.

Now I'm going home with at least one child crying because they don't like what I've made for dinner.
    Robot can have that job too.....

MTR, samiam, TerryN and 4 others like this.
  8. willair

Thanks ,i'm just looking into a start-up ipo in the Deutsche Boers and just wanted opinions,the above gives me an idea on how people think..thanks..

Perthguy and Xenia like this.
  9. Perthguy

There are groups of people who embrace change and new technology. They are optimistic about the future and believe things will get better.

There are other groups who are fearful of change and new technology. They are pessimistic about the future and believe that new technology will ruin our lives. I call them catastrophists.

Do a search on here for robots and read some of the posts. Some are amazingly negative.

Xenia and willair like this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm firmly in camp 1.
    Camp 2 are the luddites... they'll come along kicking and screaming. I don't know about you but I'd rather embrace the change and opportunities advances in technologies bring.

Btw. A CBA Economist on Thursday at the quarterly Financial services briefing at work said that Deliotte estimates there's a shortage of 100k technology workers in Australia.
    Embrace technology...

Xenia and Perthguy like this.
  11. willair

That's a good way to look at it all..
    Most and only my opinion that regular post in this site are sound thinking ,rational people and some have within their behavior will try to silence those who think different and have different opinions..

MTR likes this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You can apply @euro73's thinking. Volunteers NOT Prisoners.
    He embraced NRAS. It's something that many hadn't. I embraced airbnb as a way to rent out a property relatively early on, i'm very established now, many hadn't.

Sure there's a risk to early adoption, but what if you get it right?

By the way, I love that I can use tools like airtasker to get someone to do something for me at a price both parties will happily work to. Win-win.

Last edited: 18th Mar, 2017
    Xenia and willair like this.
  13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Leaders and innovators have always faced violent opposition from mediocre minds

Gockie and Perthguy like this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So do many stupid people, especially if they are in inappropriate positions.

15. willair