Education & Work What industries have gone extinct dramatically downsized?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willister, 21st Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

This is really worth watching as we are right on the cusp of it becoming a reality ... interesting times

Guest likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Back in the day all meat would be bought from the local butcher, all veggies from the greengrocer. Milk was delivered by a milko with a horse drawn carriage. We would go to the corner milk Bar for a malted milkshake, and have lunch (on special occasions) at the Coles cafeteria. Newspapers were delivered to the house - there was one in the morning, but I don't think the afternoon paper was delivered. There were two mail deliveries a day, and one on Saturday. My dad's car radio was a big transistor he carried. There were people at the petrol bowsers to fill your car.

Change has been happening for a lot of years, and things have changed and continue to change.

Lizzie likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

In the good old days, tge personost handy with a knife was the butcher, on wonder they became the surgeon (good at amputations, cured everything) .

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

And there used to be three garbos on every truck (one driver and two on the back) ...

5. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

That’s why in the UK surgeons are ‘Mr’ not ‘Dr’.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Speaking of industries that seem to be appearing.
    I've read a few articles of job titles that have started to become popular.
    Being an old fart they are jobs that I call as wishy washy, unqualified and useless.
    But I'm sure I'm wrong

Jobs such as life coach, wholeness mentor, happiness advocate

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Some job titles that I don't remember from back in the day.
    Buyer's agent, mortgage broker, depreciator, web designer, SEO consultant, IT tester, UX designer (and many other IT related jobs), Customer Success Manager (my current job title), mobile phone salesperson, sandwich artist.

charttv likes this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I like my sandwich toasted please with gluten free, organic, vegan bread with wrapped in environmentally friendly paper

9. Scott No Mates

Came across a new one today 'Job Walker' because the person isn't qualified enough to be a surveyor, estimator or inspector. :confused:

10. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Disappearing - car mfg (in Aust)

Appearing - thai massage ... how many does any suburb need?

11. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

The future is now.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Blueskies likes this.
  12. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Oh man, that was laugh out loud funny!

Humor aside, he wasn't far off, oh and the latest incarnation can stick a backflip - how many people can do that?

inertia and Dan Donoghue like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

2 less than the number of hairdressers, 5 less than the number of cafes and about the same number as nail bars in each area.

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

The subscription fee was only there to cover distribution costs - hardly any revenue in it. It was always about advertising. The problem is that there's no money in advertising anymore - there's so much choice now for advertisers - particularly online - that there's simply not enough dollars for magazine adverts.

Combine that with the fact that nobody buys magazines anymore when you can get all that content online for free or cheap - so circulation is down, making the advertising value proposition far less viable, thus less spend.

Double whammy - advertisers will go where their audience is - and it's no longer in print magazines.

Very very few have managed to make a successful transition to online subscriptions either - it's a completely different ball game.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  15. Simon Hampel

Yup - PC parts shops are still around - but there are far less of them, they are far more capable now, they usually have an online presence as well as a shop front, they deal in bulk - and their primary market is gamers.

I buy a lot of stuff from Scorptec myself - but then, I also build my own workstation PCs and servers.

16. Simon Hampel

In Colombia you generally purchase phone credit in "minutes" - the more minutes you pay for, the cheaper it is per minute.

This has lead to a phenomenon of street vendors selling "minutos" ("minutes" in Spanish) - they buy in bulk and so it's generally cheaper to use their phones to make outgoing calls and use your own phone for receiving only!

These people are everywhere - usually with a bunch of mobile phones chained to their belt or similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gockie and charttv like this.
  17. Simon Hampel

You're not a real gamer unless you can boast about your FPS, which requires real hardware - not toys.

Consoles are for "casual" gaming.

You could always go super-custom and turn your desk into a PC case:

[​IMG]

... or go custom wall mounted:

[​IMG]

18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Good to know Scorptec is ok - never knew if they were ok or not. But then I have PC Case Gear down the road :D

The Y-man

19. Simon Hampel

Yup - I've always had excellent service from Scorptec - both when I used to get stuff shipped up from Melbourne and even better now that they have a Sydney shopfront which is less than 10 minutes drive from here!

My main workstation PC, my 160TB unRaid server, my 20TB media/TV server, my HTPC server, my NUC PC, and just about all the peripherals, including monitors, printers, scanners and so on - have all been bought from Scorptec over the years.

I have another pre-EoFY order waiting to be filled now - should be ready to collect by the end of the week :D

20. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Very soon....plastic bags LOL