What if the market tanks??

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 2nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. acorn123

acorn123 Well-Known Member

The share market is due for a big correction IMO.
    1. Current AU share market is not reflecting the status of the economy.
    2. US interest rise => share market correction (globally?)
    Judging from above, housing market may have a longer time to run.

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I was watching a doco tonight on Japans economic boom/bust in the 80's and how prices still havent recovered to those levels. Makes you think...

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally, that's why I think its very important to have a diversified portfolio, properties in different states, different price points and catering to different markets, but generally bread and butter properties. Buying under value from day 1 and being able to add value further mitigates risk. When you add up all those factors it puts you in a safer position when markets rumble, imo. Plus of course cash buffers in place.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2015
    DCTY, skater, Xenia and 5 others like this.
  4. cashnow

cashnow Active Member

bread and butter properties.......buying under value............is that you Nathan birch.

Dale and Fargo like this.
  5. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

I'll just wait it out. The port folio is spread out over Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane so pretty diversified. In the even of a crash I'd expect interest rate to stay low or even go lower so cash flow should be fine.

naturally if there's indicators that there's a big crash and I can see it closely before the market does then I'll sell out. However, think that would be unlikely.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No its not.

Regardless, the benefits of buying BMV, being able to add value and then catering to a broad demographic is just simply good strategy. Doesn't matter who says it.

Magnet and Simon L like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

ace you are fortunate that you have a business to inject cashflow, most investors will not be in your position.

My concern is many new investors only understand or know a rising market, one cycle. Vulnerable if LVR is too high.

MTR

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2015
    Xenia likes this.
  8. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

This is probably naive - but wouldn't many property investors simply carry on as normal, but not 'feel' as wealthy? The equity in a property isn't real until it's released or put to work through leveraging. A significant rise in interest rates could be a problem as some people wouldn't be able to meet their obligations, but values decreasing - that's just a loss on paper, right?

In the nicest possible way, I think a correction (particularly in a market like Sydney) would do a few invetsors good to test their committment to property as an investment and their judgement about what they've purchased, finance structure, risk mitigation strategy etc.

That's not to say that I wish to see anyone here lose their retirement nest egg etc, just that there's ups and downs with all investment classes so I think we could all learn from a slow period and how to manage / invest through it.

9. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Go shopping at the sales ;)

Cia, Sackie and Chilliblue like this.
  10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

My 'many' states, you mean 'two' (sadly)?

I'd just ride it out, like I did post GFC. Didn't make any difference except on paper. My deposits hadn't come from equity until this year anyway.

11. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

When the median in Melbourne and Brisbane hits 1mil within 15 years time everything will be fine.....

12. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

My philosophy as well

Xenia and Sackie like this.
  13. ZachAnsel

ZachAnsel Well-Known Member

Its actually event of survival, the one who have buffer, low lvr, insurance, and back up plan will do well. They should be able to sell if have to.

Run few scenario, like calculation of 1-3% interest rate more than today. See what impact do you have.

Run scenario like what happens if the price drop 15-20% overall.

14. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

[TQUOTE="Leo2413, post: 34939, member: 85"]No its not.

Regardless, the benefits of buying BMV, being able to add value and then catering to a broad demographic is just simply good strategy. Doesn't matter who says it.[/QUOTE] Every property I have bought I have had to pay more than what the rest of the market vaues it at, I buy a property on in its merits and if it will give me the most profit, not because some-one else might pay more than it is worth. All the best properties I have bought I was told your mad you paid too much. I have sold 2 properties to the losing bidder of a property for 4x what I paid after he realized property wasn't getting any cheaper and you have to pay for what you want. Having offers of $17k accepted on properties asking $30k in Ouyen 12 years ago, it wouldnt have matter if I paid asking price when I sold them 5 years later for 90k. people not willing to pay market price have done themselves out of a lot of money.

HappyCamper likes this.
  15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The only good item with Japan is they have total control over their money,unlike countries like Greece who are within the euro zone,very big difference ..

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Fargo

If that's working for you then keep doing what your doing. Different people's goals, timeframes, skills and level of aggressiveness is different. Your approach to my own goals, aggressive approach and timeframes and risk mitigation strategies wouldn't suit. And probably mine to yours wouldn't suit. Gotta do what's right for you.

17. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The truth is sometimes more complicated,and more unknow,or value is what people perceive it to be because the Government does not want any out of nowhere surprises..

I went along to a auction last week,,Brisbane waterfront large block only one of it,s kind undeveloped the value range was huge and we are talking over 4ook from three different valuers ..

26 people in the room maybe 6-7 registered to buy,and this property had several full page add's Australia-SEA various upmarket well read papers for several weeks,property number comes up you could have heard a pin drop apart from the person with the hammer,no one bid passed in
    and while walking past one of the people in the estate,and being a good listener I heard one say that they have paid already over 8 something k to get the property too this stage for auction,just add 0 too the 8 big money for nothing..it will sell they always do after an auction like this but the question is why did it not sell at auction..

18. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@MTR
    unless investors ares forced to sell, they will keep holding portfolio. Lower IR will make it easier to service the debt,

if we face significant higher unemployment, it could be bloodbath situation. haven't seen such situation as yet, so cant comment.

out of all, perth investor should have better idea!;)

Xenia likes this.
  19. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

If I was sufficiently convinced that the markets I have properties in were going to drop by 20% and then take 8 years to recover - then I'd definitely be selling up for whatever I could get today.

However, I'm not even close to being convinved about a crash like that - seems just as much chance that growth will slow down and stay down for a period of time.

20. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Well, as long as the negative gearing component is not taken away by the Government, it should be fine for all majority of the investors.