What if Green Labor kills CGT exemption and Neg Gearing?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Carol M, 22nd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure that according to ATO records there are 2 million taxpayers claiming deductions for rental properties. That was a while ago so it may be higher now with air bnb. Therefore I think it’s more than 30%.

Anyway, there are arguments about which way prices and rents will go. Government intervention can affect it. And there’s anti landlorders who want to see us crushed and that will probably make them feel good. I suppose time will tell.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Look at it this way. Perhaps that is true. But then you'll have the volatility of the stockmarket and its psychological impact to deal with. I think no matter the investment, there are always going to be things to contend with. The grass may not be greener on the other side. Or, it may be. But is it worth it if you're SANF is more affected?

No easy choice. Perhaps consider doing not only what may be the best financial choice but also the best choice for overall peace of mind. Combine both factors and see what you come up with.

3. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

The main differences are that property requires more effort than shares and and that buying or selling property is harder and costs more than shares. Perhaps like many others on this forum I have shares and property. I like the diversification of many investments, giving much more security than one income source. I buy and hold for the long term, with a low turnover of shares and property.

I'm no longer negatively geared and have no intention of selling property, so whatever happens about CGT and negative gearing does not affect me, at least for the foreseeable future. If I am affected I will deal with it at the time using the rules in place then. Until that happens the possibility of perhaps vague changes starting at an unknown date do not concern me much.

Rentvester likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not sure about selling at the moment as the prices in your area are still on the upward trend and may stay that way for several years..
    But just to give you a back of the envelope calculation on just one asx listed bank..
    March 2020 the entry price was just below $60--00 --900k invested back then combined with franking credits and reinvesting every dividend as it's in the $106--00range one would be quite happy with that 2 year results -and somewhat stress-free as long as you don't look at the price just the total income..
    Compare that to property in your area and the results would maybe be the same,and rental property is a whole different ball game..
    I was talking to an old mate up the north coast a few days ago at Noosa at the wake..
    He was saying he had 7 rentals around the Sunshine Coast for over 10 years interest only loans and sold every one just over 2-5 years ago just before the nth Coast went boom and he was talking about millions he would made by not selling..All about timing..

Last edited: 26th May, 2022
    wylie likes this.
  5. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Ouch!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia