What Happens During A Trade War..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 9th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Lizzie likes this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

"Contemporary trade policy – with its emphasis on free exchange – dates back to the 1930s, with the decades since then showing that world trade and global prosperity depend heavily on the elimination of barriers.

The rising tide of populism, however, has seen several major economies turn away from this consensus – most notably the US under President Trump.

As the trade war between the US and China intensifies, the #SaxoStrats believe that there are several methods and strategies by which investors can weather, and even profit from, the present storm.

Nevertheless, the trade war is a worrying development and its combination of protectionism, isolationism and nationalism is likely to weigh on the financial markets for some time."

Full outlook here:

Quarterly Economic Outlook

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Perhaps have a read of this... and would you believe not Fox

https://nypost.com/2017/03/30/gdp-growth-under-obama-was-worst-in-decades/

So when Trump was Elected, the entire Left wing MSM, and the entire Democrat Party said that the economy would crash - but now that the economy is roaring it's all due to Obama?

Oh dear….. don't you love the experts.... bit like the economists who predict what will happen to property markets, most still working in their day jobs. They always get it wrong.
    Beware of the so called experts...

"Ten Reasons Why Economists Always Get It Wrong."

I take predictions with a grain of salt.... same as the trade war thing....

Last edited: 30th Jul, 2018
    LVR likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So when Obama has one quarter with 5.2% it doesn't matter, but when Trump has one quarter with 4.2% he's a genius? Remembering that Obama inherited the GFC.

Obama averaged 2.2% excluding the first year immediately post GFC. Trump is doing about 2.5%.

The economy is a slow moving beast. It doesn't immediately react to any event. It involves the individual reactions of 300 million people. A change of president doesn't immediately affect the economy. The next 12 months will be the best indicator.

And speaking of the GFC. A lot of banking regulations which were introduced to ensure the GFC didn't ever happen again have now been withdrawn. The Australian banks have always had much stronger regulations than the US, which helped them weather the storm.

wategos, wylie, Ambit and 1 other person like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Here you go...
    US Real GDP Growth Rate by Quarter

Genius category... not sure I would go that far....
    President Trump Hits Highest Approval Rating In History

I see the glass half full, many more opportunities for business' to grow = more jobs, prosperity etc ......

What Trump plans to do to banking regulation and why it matters

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think he understands economics :)....... ... billionaire 101....

Back home.....Anyone paying attention to AUD.... its slip sliding...

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

8. geoffw

Wow. Talk about spin. "Highest approval rating in history" makes it sound as if he's more popular than any other president. But that is only the highest approval rating in the history of Trump. But it's still the lowest highest approval rating of any president since they started polling for Franklin Roosevelt. See section "historical" - United States presidential approval rating - Wikipedia. Even the Bushes each scored 89%+.

The article about banking seems to confirm worries. Australian banking does a great job despite much tighter restrictions than the US. But Trump wants unfettered lending, which is what triggered the GFC in the first place. What use are more jobs in the short term if it triggers economic chaos in the longer term?

wategos and Lizzie like this.
  9. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Lizzie likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Nope
    Media and Dems, still can not get over the loss of 2016 election

LVR likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Right.....the economic experts have been completely wrong about Trump every step of the way so far, and since Trump is both a BILLIONAIRE and managed to beat 17 "career" professional politicians to become the President; I would say there is a very significant chance he knows what he is doing.

Trump is not referring to "unfettered lending" as dodgy Bank lending practices - just a more open lending environment to encourage competition, more investment and Business activity.

Coyote and the road runner..... beep beep

coyote roadrunner youtube - Bing video

12. geoffw

Obama had a 5.2% immediately following a 4.6% quarter. U.S.: real GDP growth by quarter 2011-2018 | Statista
    Wrong. An attempt to distract from the topic at hand. A popular Trump tactic.

wategos, wylie and Ambit like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

14. geoffw

Sure.

But we were talking about Trump's 4.1% quarterly result, so it is appropriate to compare it to quarterly results under Obama.

In total, the economic performance over Obama's administration was good, not outstanding. It was enough to bring about steady growth in employment, GDP and share prices.

Ambit likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The only ones that keep bringing up the election are the Republicans ... the Dem's are so past that point and are looking to the future (being forward looking people) and don't care about past elections ... what concerns the Dem's is the unhinged nutcase in the Whitehouse

p.s. What makes you think he's a billionaire? Because he told you? Having a billion in assets means nothing when you have a billion and one in debt

Ambit and wylie like this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Um - and the difference is? The past "open lending" that is being encouraged lead to dodgy practices which lead to the GFC

Economics 101 - again

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

19. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Trump definitely doesn't understand economics, he''s a failed businessman many times over. He is a successful liar, cheat and conman however, which although works sometimes in private will eventually burn him in public office.

As for us economic performance.. it's just a continuation of almost the exact same trajectory/rate of change as Obama's second term. The next year will be more telling.

Lizzie, Ambit and wylie like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OK ..... you think:eek:

Maddow..... presented Trumps taxes paid in 2005 - $125M.....

.I reckon his JOB.....just over broke...lol

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Aug, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.