What Happens During A Trade War..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 9th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Did you read what the economists had to say

Older article fast forward today he his kicking goals
    Thats not an opinion fact
    US is booming economy

I like The Hill

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes I read it and my answer is the same - anything more recent to show he's actually "kicking goals" rather than six months ago running on the credit of an election?

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - read it - not sure why you think it's a pro-Trump/anti media article when sections of it claim that Trump bought the negative publicity on himself through his actions

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Really cant be bothered to be honest, but here we go again. Some major issues

Just google US economy, tax reforms,, unemployment rates, GDP %
    The facts speak for themselves

I dont want to argue points with the crew cos you will always ignore facts not on your agenda, preferring to focus on trivia just my opinion

You see its just a Waste of energy

Lets forget Trump, it drives people crazy

Back to tariffs

Last edited: 27th Jun, 2018
  5. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

It wont work. History says it won't.

The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I struggle to find any positive facts - that's why I've asked you to point me in the direction of something unbiased and independent to back up your claim.

Everything I find seems to slam what is being done - including the tariffs - and that the common people are struggling even more than before, while the rich are getting richer

Lower growth than predicted - higher employment but most is unwanted part time - interest rates predicted to go up - gas and oil more expensive - care services for the most vulnerable being slashed (vets, healthcare, elderly) ... I think the quote should be "fine but not great"

What Will the Economy Do in 2018 and Beyond?
    Nine Days, One Signal: U.S. Economy Is Doing Fine If Not Great
    How Good Is the Trump Economy, Really?

My biggest concern is those being left behind. Humanity is judged on how it's treats it's weakest

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2018
    wylie and Ed Barton like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lizzie, its the treadmill to nowhere, its kind of tit for tat. That's why I said I cant be bothered, too much work for me and don't care that much, don't need to justify what I see happening
    I find a link, you find a link... whats the point, becomes meaningless and boring.

Bayview was the legend when it comes to producing data etc... I think he even got bored with it.

I will go from my own personal experience investing in US and playing in the market, watching what has been happening from their last crash cycle. What I am seeing on the ground today, its booming, economy, jobs, property market. Figures don't lie. and markets boom because there is a prosperous economy.
    Wht is happening on the ground is Much more reliable than any article..... and predictions are just that. What matters is now/today

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2018
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Understand - although Bayview used to write War and Peace each post and no one could be bothered reading it after a while.

I'm posting the links because I know you're an intelligent person - and I really want you to read other opinions, instead of blindly believing the propaganda. I would love to see you question what you're being told, be curious, seek other sources to either confirm or deny, listen to independent publications on both sides with an open mind.

If nothing else - try and read this. It's about what is happening all over the world right now ... including Australia, which explains much of our own complacency over refugees in detention: Fintan O’Toole: Trial runs for fascism are in full flow

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

10. Alain

Alain Well-Known Member

Wow very patronizing,

MTR you must be one of these poor deplorable's that Hilary talks about. Don't worry, you can be re-educated to think more like the 'well informed' people

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sorry if it came across that way - I simply get frustrated with people who blindly believe what they are told without challenging and educating and seeking for themselves - whether it be religion or politics or investing or any other aspect where supposed "experts" set themselves up as the be-all-and-end-all, and their faithful follow without question

A perfect example of not "questioning" and simply believing is the immediately above post about the non-opening of steel mills. Just because it was said repeatedly does not make it true

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2018
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

An example of what I'm trying to get across - re the blind faith - is the belief that Trump is a successful and very wealthy businessman.

Why do people believe that? Because he has declared it repeatedly - despite many others, who know him intimately through business dealings, coming out and stating it's not true.

We question someone who, in an interview or on PC, declares they have $5mil worth of property by the time they are 25 ... we don't take them at face value, but rather ask what their debt level is - what their cashflow is - often what their income is and whether they had a mum-and-dad leg up - what is going on behind the bald statement.

Why then, when it comes to the leader of such a powerful world presence, would we not question what they declare without requesting full disclosure or fact checking for ourselves?

13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I see that a new facility has been opened by FoxConn in Wisconsin, and has been praised by Trump. That's a good thing.

However, they received $4B in tax breaks to build there.

While that's not a bad thing in itself, isn't it hypocritical of a government to criticise other countries imposing tariffs on imports (protecting their own industries usually) while at the same time heavily subsidising industries in their own country? Isn't it just another side to the same coin?

Lizzie likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Politics is an unusual beast... a lot has to do with what your belief system is, what is important to you/me.
    Some of the issues raised I consider trivia, not that important. For example Trumps relationship with Canada... I really don't care about this, yet seems to be a massive issue and media loves to beat up on this, weird.

I do not just watch fox, I watch CNN to compare but the same old same gets tiring and pretty much cant tolerate the bias on trivia, very little about what is happening to the economy, jobs etc, but that's another story for another day.

Anyway back to tarifs

MTR:)

Lizzie likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Agree - tariffs

p.s. I agree, CNN is terrible ... I sort of watch PBS and ABC (the Australian one) for visual coverage but prefer print media (well, the internet version) for the multiple views

16. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

for news
    read uk media to find out about usa/au
    read us media to find out about uk/au
    read au media to find out about uk/us.

all of them cover rest of the world and sort of put their own opinion/bias on it.

then fill in the blanks yourself and make your own judgement xD.

17. geoffw

Personality really SHOULD come into play, when this one man has his finger on the red button, and can single-handedly change the entire policy of the US.

OK, so he's doing a grest job. I'd be happier if he was doing a great job.

Ratings? There is one single poll which was Trumpeted- Rassmussen consistently rates Trump much higher than many other polls.

From How Popular Is Donald Trump? - Trump's ratings in green vs other presidents for the same time during their term.
    Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 12.32.46 pm.png

Yes, the economy is doing well. It is a part of media reporting in the media you don't like, even though you've said that it's not. However, who was responsible for the economy?

You said we should Google. So here it is. Dow Jones for the last 10 years.
    Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 12.35.20 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 12.32.46 pm.png

Unemployment for the last 10 years
    Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 12.36.52 pm.png

GDP Growth
    Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 12.40.26 pm.png
    So how was Trump responsible for the growth occurring since 2010?

There was a GFC, since then growth by many measures has increased steadily over 8-10 years. The difference was that Obama wasn't there trying to tell people how great he was.

I know that you're not worried about Canada. But Canada is the US's second-biggest trading partner after China. And Mexico is their third largest. And the trade imbalance is very small as compared to China- even that trade imbalance is in large part caused by goods from other countries landing in Canada and being shipped to the US. Wouldn't a country with which one had so much trade be treated better than Canada - and Mexico? Trump may have a case with the dairy. But the US imports $300B worth of goods from Canada, of which dairy is $400M. Canada imports more dairy than it exports. Why risk so much over so little?

Tambun, Ed Barton, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hmmm - that last six months of Dow Jones doesn't look real healthy.

Great explanation Geoff - and I agree - why peeve off your two biggest trading partners with vitriolic tweets and aggression. Is it working? No

19. geoffw

Yes, lower now than at the start of the year. Partially that's due to interest rates, partially because it probably went up too quickly previously, and partially the threats of a trade war.
    Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 1.27.47 pm.png

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.