What Happens During A Trade War..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 9th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Who knows what is actually happening in the country due to his relatives ... however ... Trump's actions do make one wonder "who is next" on his agenda

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that it's impossible. I've wondered on a number of occasions why a president who seems so focused on the performance of the stock market as a barometer of his own performance has so often done things, like the tariffs on China or Mexico, which seem to have done so much to dampen the stock market. But it is conjecture until proven otherwise.

His business in the past has appeared to be ethically challenged. Things like short changing contractors, mystery loans, and hiding tax returns. At minimum, there is a big lack of transparency. Like this.
    Company part-owned by Jared Kushner got $90m from unknown offshore investors since 2017

There has also been conjecture, quite hypothetical, that his modus operandi is to cause chaos by the trade wars, and then a suitable length of time before the election, stop (or perhaps reduce) the tariffs, and to bask in the glow of an election winning economic stimulus. Just like taking the credit for solving the Mexican crisis which he had induced.

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I will cut and paste shortly

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

9. geoffw

Sorry, that would be a copyright infringement.

The Washington Post allows a limited number of articles per month without a subscription.

It raises some good points. However, a tariff war is a blunt instrument which causes a lot of damage apart from the intended target. US farmers, consumers and companies are collateral damage in the attempt to right some of the wrongs. The fly might get damaged by the sledgehammer, but the person who was being bothered by the fly would get a lot more damaged.

10. geoffw

After the Mexico tariff affair, I suspect that Trump will see tariffs as a legitimate weapon with other countries. He saw the tussle with Mexico as a victory, and something which he had the power to do without Congress. It will happen again, possibly even against Australia if the circumstances arise.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Modus Operandii

- create major issue out of nothing
    - cause drama and chaos over created issue
    - pretend to solve created issue
    - fan base hero worships
    (- rest of the world suffers the fallout)

Rinse. Repeat

Snippet from the article in case you haven't read it:

"Trump continues to say he is expecting to meet with China's leader during the summit, scheduled for June 28-29 in Osaka, Japan. But China has yet to confirm any meeting with Trump"

"Many US business groups have opposed the tariffs, with companies worried about slowing demand as they pass higher prices along to consumers and manufacturers across a range of products."

geoffw likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes D day 28-29 June

Its a chess game......Lets see ... how it plays out, no idea???

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Don't think we'll see hundreds of thousands lose their lives ... and China is not even scheduled to go to the G20 at this stage

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Well - you can't claim you have a meeting, and that if a deal during such meeting is not made - if there is no meeting organised.

Simply another distortion of reality to appease the fan base

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Watch gu talkin bout? June 28-29

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - can't claim you're going to kick backside in a meeting if there is no meeting organised ... well ... unless you're a certain prez

Last edited: 12th Jun, 2019
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and? How is this good for anyone?

With neither Trump nor Chinese President Xi Jinping willing to back down, US-China trade tensions could erupt into a full-blown trade war. China’s own Ministry of Commerce warned that the dispute may even lead to “the largest trade war in economic history to date”.

Day 332: June 2, 2019 – China issues white paper on US-China economic relations
    China announces the release of a white paper titled, ‘China’s Position on the China-US Economic and Trade Consultations’ (full text can be found here). The white paper denounces US unilateral and protectionist measures, criticizes its backtracking on Sino-US trade talks, and demonstrates China’s stance on trade consultations and the pursuit of reasonable solutions.

Day 330: May 31, 2019 – China establishes its very own ‘unreliable entities’ list
    China announces that it will establish its very own unreliable entities list in retaliation to the US’ entity list. The unreliable list will include foreign enterprises, organizations, and individuals that do not obey market rules, violate contracts, and block, cut off supply for non-commercial reasons, or severely damage the legitimate interests of Chinese companies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.