What Happens During A Trade War..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 9th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The topic is the trade war. Mexico's reaction to the events of today with the tariffs is a part of that topic. If that brings about change in relations between the countries, then it's a part of the topic. US aid to Mexico wasn't raised by me.

Some of the language from the Mexican newspapers is extremely strong against the US. One line from El Universal " If we agree to the sacrifice of illegals we will be condemned to suffer new threats from the bully". Hence the reference to how this trade war is going to affect the relationship between Mexico and the US.

While the aid you've mentioned will go to the poorest communities in Mexico, this agreement will leave Mexico with the cost of enforcement, and the cost of keeping asylum seekers who will now be kept in Mexico while their application is processed - a process which can take several years.

The aid to Central America, which was later withdrawn and even reduced, would have gone a long way towards alleviating the poverty which is causing people to emigrate in the first place.

There were also Republican congressmen who were against the imposition of tariffs on Mexico, realising that they would have an adverse impact on the US, and therefore on their own reelection prospects.

Lizzie likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think you are off topic imo..... Start a thread on Mexico and relationship with USA, illegal immigrants etc etc

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Geoff is right. This latest incident has everything to do with trades wars ... bullying via tariff threats.

And you were three one that bought up the aid, so why the sudden deflection? Very Trump-ish

4. turk

turk Well-Known Member

This isn't a trade war, this is an immigration war, Trump isn't looking at unfair trading practices, to much bias here from a moderator

The Basics of a Trade War

Trade wars can commence if one country perceives a competitor nation has unfair trading practices. Domestic trade unions or industry lobbyists can place pressure on politicians to make imported goods less attractive to consumers, pushing international policy toward a trade war. Also, trade wars are often a result of a misunderstanding of the widespread benefits of free trade.

What is a Trade War?

MTR likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is an interesting read, its not just about the trade war

I expect the two giants will eventually broker a deal, it just makes sense????

China's Trade War Isn't Entirely About Trade

Chinese trade practices been an issue for years....... and here we are today

US, EU, Japan slam trade distortions in veiled swipe at China

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2019
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Ambit, geoffw and wategos like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

8. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

There is no "win/win", things are just back to exactly where they were two weeks ago. Classic trump tactic, create a crisis, then "solve it", usually for diversionary/political reasons.

The danger is he´ll do something similar but with far more dangerous consequences, for example with Iran closer to next years US election, US is already already laying the groundwork for that.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It wasn't a win/win - Mexico was stood over by a large and powerful bully.

Trump is also claiming he "forced" Mexico to buy US agricultural products as part of the deal (to appease the mid-west farmers that are suffering badly under the Chinese tariffs) - which is completely not true.

So, the deal with Mexico was already well underway BEFORE Trump bluffed with the tariff threat - knowing full well it wouldn't come to fruition - and now claims there was some farm deal that is absolute BS. I cannot believe people still belief this oaf

"President Donald Trump said Saturday that a deal reached with Mexico on immigration includes that country’s commitment to purchase large quantities of agricultural products from U.S. farmers. In reality, however, that agreement isn’t anywhere in the joint declaration both countries issued."

Trump makes big claim about his Mexico deal that isn’t backed up on paper

** sorry about the link being a secondary quality source - I've run out of non-subscription downloads

geoffw likes this.
  10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

MTR likes this.
  11. geoffw

Things are not back to what they were two weeks ago - they are much worse. 6000 troops who were dealing with the rising crime rates in Mexico are now being diverted to stop people entering the US. Crime rates which are incidentally largely caused by the demand for drugs in the US. Mexico is worse off by far.

Mexico are doing this for show. They're not happy about having been bullied by the US. There's some very strong language in the Spanish language press.

If not a trade battle, trade was used as a weapon against Mexico.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I read what US negotiated in return for no tariffs

We could discuss it till the cows come home..... but what matters is what Mexico has agreed to, and a deal has been struck, whether you like it or not is irrelevant, move on

Mexico are celebrating, see link above.

15. geoffw

Mexico is not celebrating. That's all show for Trump. Like the crowds cheering the Nazis as they arrived into Paris.

Mexico were bullied into something. The new president (who was elected late last year) is past his honeymoon, and people are starting to get very suspicious about him. There have been marches and rallies against him. He has to present this as a victory. But the local press is saying differently.

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

via media reports - no one outside the governments knows what really went on.

As for a deal struck - under pressure from a more powerful country and the use of stand over tactics ... the abuse of such power will always be relevant

p.s. I'll take Geoff's views - as he has people on the ground "in" Mexico, over any US publication opinion any day

geoffw likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think you have already said this, the bit about who is more powerful, I am pretty sure most of us understand this

I think we made it.... we can now move on

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Then please stop replying as if the deal was something good for Mexico, the assumption they are celebrating and saying it was a win/win - when all those comments are wrong

19. geoffw

The bully has won this round. But just like the bully in the schoolyard who gets the kid's lunch money, the resentment stays, and the victim waits until there's an opportunity to get back.

This is not a good way to build good long term relationships between countries.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thats your opinion but you have no evidence to support this, other than agreeing with Geoff‘s opinion

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.