What Happens During A Trade War..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 9th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and he's still spinning the lies saying that China pays for the US tariffs. China's doesn't - the US importers and hence US consumers pay. The only ones really hurting, atm, are those with money in the stock exchange and the mid-western farmers.

What many countries don't understand - because their government works on a 4-6 plan to coincide with the election cycle - is that China works on a 100 year plan and is in it for the very long game

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Yes.

I have US EFTs as well as Australian and other foreign. They've all dropped.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

All the major markets have fallen across Asia and Europe - basically every stock exchange

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This, combined with Oz property market slowing down and uncertainties if Labor gets in.... I see more pain in Oz.... batten the helms its going to be a rough ride

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What happened to @falcons post I was going to like, but gone

9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

He deleted it himself.

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I don't think it's going to make a difference what party gets in.

wylie likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its already making a difference, market sentiment is negative with regards to this. Just have to read posts on PC

Anyways, back to trade war??? Next 6 months going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Winners and losers

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ok thx

13. tc8

tc8 Well-Known Member

I was short the US stock since last Friday....seeing those instruments gained from 15-30%. With China announced its plan to hit back the US goods, I was expecting even more. Fast forward last night (around 11am US Time), the market recovered and I had to sell them. I ended up losing money (albeit small amount). There is a news in Hong Kong saying China will print more money effective today. I am expecting a nice recovery from the stock market in China. The US market may follow

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Looks like Trump picked on the wrong country:

China's state media hits back at US on trade | Daily Mail Online

According to those who have worked in business with him in the past, it is modus operandi to nearly reach a deal and then have Trump pull out with new accusations and demands - which the majority (subcontractors, real estate sales agents etc) have no choice but to comply with - China ain't going to "comply"

snippet:

"China has already given its answer: talk and the door is open, fight and we'll fight you to the end," an anchor read, looking directly at the camera.

"Through 5,000 years of ups and downs, what kind of battle has the Chinese nation not seen! During the great process of realising national rejuvenation, there will inevitably be difficulties, obstacles and even storms," he read.

"China's policy toolbox is ready and prepared for a comprehensive response."

Last edited: 15th May, 2019
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Volitile, for sure
    I guess how it impacts will also be dependent on how long investors have been in these markets, whether trading etc

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Maybe only the comments you read - I've seen a lot of positive too. Market sentiment was already negative due to stagnant wages and climate issues - the squabble between Trump and China (and Trump and nearly everywhere else in the world) is what's dragging the rest of sentiment down

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What are the positives?

.... and then came the credit squeeze in Oz, that killed the property market, Labor will be the nail in the coffin
    I dont see any wins for oz property investors not in the near future

Actually interest rates dropping will help service debt, but also an indicator that our economy is slowing down

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Take the blinkers off and don't be so negative in life

The credit squeeze you just mentioned was a LNP "thing" - so is the stagnant wages - so is the rise in cost of living - so is the current lagging renewables situation ... another 4 years of such hopeless leadership is no solution

And I have always been (prior to this election) an LNP voter

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OK and I thought I was stating the obvious, credit squeeze impacts on all voters, if thats negative please share the positives, I am all ears

BTW. I dont care who anyone votes for

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

"What are the positives?

.... and then came the credit squeeze in Oz, that killed the property market, Labor will be the nail in the coffin"

I dont see any wins for property investors in the near future. No positives for either party when it comes to - but LNP have had their turn and failed and left everything in the shambles it current is - so to claim Labor will be the final straw is overreacting

Listened to Michael Pascoe yesterday (can't seem to find link) and he seems to think their neither the NG or first homeowners guarantee will affect the market

... now ... back on topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.