What facelifts will attract tenants?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by PropertyInsight, 12th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Do you mean the floor can be polished ?
    Anyway polished concrete floors are very popular. ..and very durable ..have had many m2 done

2. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Toilet is ok no need for another one, that toilet looks modern to me.
    The gold door handles on the cupboard are a fantastic look and you could look at replacing the kitchen tap with a brass hook tap , it would look great !

That silver light doesn't look good, couldn't you get a better type light that goes with the kitchen, gold type colour older style?
    That silver light looks like it belongs in a chook factory

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I’m not sure whether I’d be painting the kind Then cupboards until I’ve seen the whole house. But I’ll be removing the single wall hung cabinet on the right, next to the door. It will brighten up the kitchen and lighten up the looks.

wylie likes this.
  4. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

I am not sure what it is, too. Will check it. Thanks for your advice, Wylie.

5. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I see nothing really wrong with the house but from the description I would replace the carpet if it has an odour.

If you are after absolute premium dollar then sure make all the changes you want including doing a full renovation but it comes down to is it worth doing from a cost/benefit and most of the stuff mentioned likely wouldn't imho.

PropertyInsight likes this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm with everyone else:
    - leave toilet as is unless the bowl is really stained
    - leave kitchen as is (though check into that light above the sink as it's horrific)

Consider
    - new blinds to replace any dated curtains
    - replace carpet - it makes a huge impression on new renters
    - consider spending some money in the laundry if it's just got a metal trough and a space for a washer. Families will enjoy some bench space in here
    - air con if it doesn't have any
    - pergola if there isn't one

Tom Rivera and PropertyInsight like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is a great idea. That little dark cupboard gives a bit of storage, but does close in the room a lot.

We removed some similar cupboards in our own kitchen and it made a huge difference to how the room felt.

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Love concrete floors. Is polishing a concrete floor a noisy, laborious process?

Am considering ripping the ugly old carpet off an apartment I own (top floor)...am not sure if that contravenes strata laws etc though - probably does.

Is it worth the risk if noone knows/finds out? I mean, is there a process where you can do it very lightly without taking a layer off the top etc ie a non-invasive buff?

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You may have an issue with noise complaints by the tenants on the floor underneath - with tenants walking on hard floors above.

10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

yes, and your bog standard slab probably isnt going to finished well enough or with pretty ingredients to look any more than average. Your real wow factor floors are a specially formulated concrete mix and laid in a single seamless pour to avoid joins/overfill

wylie likes this.
  11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK probably a pipe dream then, but failing the concrete floors, its probably equally impossible to lay a polished timber/engineered floor as well am guessing? Carpets suck for so many reasons.

Last edited: 28th Nov, 2017
    TAJ likes this.
  12. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Timber flooring, today, is a great option. Relatively flexible underfoot, far easier than carpet to keep clean and not overly expensive. I make a good part of my living cleaning carpet on a domestic and commercial level, and no matter what the supposed quality it still acts as a magnet to dust, germs and mould. Some people swear blind their homes are clean and when we show them what has been extracted from their beloved carpet they are astounded!

13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Preaching to the converted TAJ but my concern is whether I'll be allowed to being a top floor apt. As much as I want to do it, I'm not prepared to jump through 250 hoops to sway the committee and satisfy their every whim.

Definitely pros and cons to owning apartments vs houses. I started off with apartments then gravitated to houses and have never bought an apartment since the first few.

14. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Yes, would imagine Body Corps would be quite restrictive. Have you approached the powers that be in regard to your proposal? You never know your luck in a big city. I think overall houses provide better opportunities and far less restrictions going forward.

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Have written to them - betcha I won't like the response.

TAJ likes this.
  16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

What about air conditioning in apartments (or houses for that matter). Given the maintenance, tenants losing remotes, longevity of the AC units etc - is it worth the $ installing for the potential payoff?

17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I have an IP in FNQ so air-con is a must. Cooler areas it may not be necessary. Funny how those remotes mysteriously disappear! Do the sums to see if it is financially viable.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  18. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

19. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Are you OK to pay for a tapping test before and after the installation of your hard surface flooring and <cough> insulation? So that it complies with the BCA...

Just so that it doesn't cause a loss of amenity to your neighbours, in terms of the peaceful enjoyment of their lot(s), so that you can indulge in the, somewhat arguable, latest flooring fashion?

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

No rather get their approval before I do it....or do it anyway on the quiet.