What Easter Gift for an 8 year boy who does not like chocolate

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Chilliblue, 6th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

I agree and my children have decided to buy a Messina ice cream cake instead of chocolates to break lent.

Unfortunately my sister does not share my thoughts about it.

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Could you talk to your sister and suggest you just look after your own children? If there was no gift giving between families would you see your sister over Easter?

Why are her rules overriding yours?

I'm prickly about families today after catching a family member on hubby's side in a lie that has caused us to be dumped into a bit of conflict with other members due to the person telling different people different stories.

I'm fuming. Either we let on we know a lie has been told and that person is outed or we are seen to be telling a lie ourselves to create conflict. We can't win. It is not a huge issue but annoys the crap out of me that we are dragged into this crap.

So today I say speak up and say Easter is for your family and she looks after her family. When will it all end?

Last edited: 7th Mar, 2016
    Nemo30 likes this.
  3. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Presents on Easter has always rubbed me wrong - just seems like presents for presents sake.

If I had a child that couldn't have chocolate or didn't like it - i'd find some other form of small food treat to give them, not a toy.

4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

@wylie am trying not to start a family argument when we are all together and unfortunately that means putting up with these problems.

I have to look at from the perspective that this is done only twice a year thankfully.

5. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

My kids always got way too much choloate from the ex's family, so my Mum created the tradition that Nana gave hot cross buns. (I never bought them)

Still "Easter Junk food" but not chocolate. Even now at 30, the kids still associate Hot Cross Buns with Nana. :)

Gockie likes this.
  6. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

WTFFFFF

7. Jennifer Duke

I reckon there should be a Kris Kringle style thing for easter...

8. Jennifer Duke

(PS you can buy Easter stuff that's a painting kit for a mug or egg cup etc. They are in the easter egg section of Coles or Woolies when I last checked. Similar price to an egg and in a similar box.)

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely understand. We did this too for years until we initiated the change. I believe everyone was happy to stop spending but nobody wanted to start the conversation.

We still saw everyone (until the kids had their own lives and started spending the day with their own and other extended families) but the gift stress was gone.

This was Christmas. Easter we only saw grandparents so the siblings and their children were not usually seen. If we did see them we still didn't buy gifts and once you start it is hard to stop.

Chilliblue likes this.
  10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Bran, stick to the $50 secret Santa, because it looks like some pretty awful lessons are being passed on. This assumes that you are not part of the Packer or Murdoch clans (who, some might have speculated, seem to have just inherited a whole bunch more inheritance complications, now that Mariah and Jerry have joined the folds...)

Bran likes this.