What Easter Gift for an 8 year boy who does not like chocolate

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Chilliblue, 6th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Need help with an Easter Gift.

My nephew is 8 years old, hates chocolate and sweets and is so spoilt that he has twice of everything.

In the past we have purchased books, computer games and experiences like bowling and amusement centres but all have fallen flat.

Have no clue what to do this year.

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Doesn't every 8 year old boy like Lego and Minecraft? Or some form of sporting equipment.

Chilliblue likes this.
  3. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Go Cart voucher?

Davothegreat and Chilliblue like this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Why does he need an Easter gift?

Now that I have that off my chest. If it's because you are buying his siblings an egg and don't want him to feel left out then I can tell you my DS9 likes Minecraft (so a book would be good), Lego, Terraria, books by Paul Jennings/Ahn Do, or a rock egg.

Corey Batt, Lizzie, DaveM and 5 others like this.
  5. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

My son has always hated chocolate. He would eat white choc so we usually got him a white choc egg (he now tells me he dislikes that too). Sometimes he got new clothes, pyjamas or a book instead.

Chilliblue likes this.
  6. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Let him climb a tree. Put a ribbon on it.
    Noticed 3 kids doing that yesterday having the time of their lives.

Chilliblue likes this.
  7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Um... nothing.

Give him an experience, with you. Ideally that costs nothing. Go fishing, plant a tree, slide down a hill on cardboard boxes. Anything but something bought.

Speaking of spoilt - I refuse to buy my nieces and nephews gifts, or even share christmas morning with them. Ill try and find the photo to show why.

Edit: Here it is. This was the haul given to a 4 year old and 2 two year olds. I'm still disgusted. There is no lesson here but greed.
    Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 6.23.27 pm.png Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 6.23.14 pm.png

Last edited: 6th Mar, 2016
    Guest, vbplease, Phantom and 5 others like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is that haul actually JUST for three children? Wow! That is not good.

If that is from the aunts, uncles, grandparents etc, then it would probably be a good idea to somehow manage to thin it out. Nobody needs that much stuff.

When our kids were little, we bought for hubby's four sisters, their husbands, their kids. We couldn't afford it, but we did it because "it was expected".

As the years rolled on, we requested that we only buy for the children, which was accepted by everyone. Everybody probably thought the same, but we were the ones to put it to them all. So we bought just for the kids and then as their cousins got older, it the Christmas sort of dwindled out and our kids were left with nothing from anyone other than us and the grandparents.

So, they never ever were conscious of getting more than one or two things from us, and one gift from each set of grandparents.

This Christmas just gone, (now we don't see hubby's sisters or any other family on Christmas day) we decided to put to our kids that we don't buy something for everyone, but we chose a secret santa. Each of us bought for one person with a $50 limit.

Because we wanted to give something separate to that for each of them, we did that asn an extra, because they are all paying off mortgages, and because we now can afford to be more generous.

Bran and Chilliblue like this.
  9. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Thanks guys

10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yes. I was truly horrified.
    My 2 year old, and my sisters 2 and 4.
    The main culprit is my sister, but my mother isn't too far behind.

I spoke to them after the event and said in no way was this a reasonable expectation for my children to have of christmas. We have also set a $50 secret santa, but only for the adults at the moment.

Our children gave very small presents to charity this year. This will be an increasing theme.

My sister has bought more for our newborn than we have - about 5-6 new outfits, toys etc.
    She cannot pay off her credit card.

I have very strong thoughts about this - my cousins were the spoilt ones in my childhood. Their ages range from mine (mid 30s, to a 7 week old... seriously), so I was able to see how they expected such gifts, how quickly the parents had to escalate, and the major life issues they all now have living a millionaire lifestyle without the millions. They all had cars before they even had licences - and I'm talking BMWs, vintage cars...

Phantom likes this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Easter? Seriously? Are you Christians? then a children's bible with pretty pictures of Jesus and little lambs is nice. If you are not Christians, then why are you asking this question?

12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

A kiss on the cheek . x

13. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Hard boiled eggs! Then ask if he wants anything next year

14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

A Harley Davidson.

Ted Varrick and DaveM like this.
  15. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Give him a rabbit. Then kill and skin it, and make a stew for lunch

16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Whao....and keep a foot for good luck.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Nothing. I think I only got chocolate from an aunty (and she wasn't our aunty then either!) once at Easter when I was growing up.
    Christmas present should be kept simple too. Nothing wrong with a gift of flip flops at Christmas.

Two of my colleagues (wives) had babies. A colleague was suggesting gifts for the babies. That's ok. But it was all just plastic toys!

I pushed back and said plastic stuff isnt good for the environment. So we settled on a set of clothing (hmmm she bought them massively thick clothes for the middle of winter... oh well) and a plastic toy for each of them. I can't get it all my own way but its good they took into consideration my comment....

18. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

i have an 8 yo boy. These are the things he likes;
    Basket ball, footy ball, bow & arrow set (kids one - hasn't aimed at his sisters yet )
    Books; anything from Just shocking or 13 story tree house books
    Lego; anything Star Wars or Minecraft
    Computers; ITunes card
    Nerf guns
    Water pistols
    Kmart currently have a $6 build your own solar powered helicopter and a few other things they can DIY build

All of these items would equal the cost of a few Easter eggs so better way to spend your money than on Chocolate!

D.T. likes this.
  19. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

@Bran holy ****! That's a lot of stuff. Where do you put it all once it's opened and no longer played with?? You must have a big shed

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sit down and make easter eggs with him ... if you must do something (which I reckon you don't) ... pin hole at either end of the egg. shove in a skewer and mush it around ... blow the eggs out ... wash and whilst letting them dry, go out into the garden and pick some flowers and leaves ... wrap the egg in the garden collection and then tightly inside a stocking ... submerge in boiling water with food colouring in it for around 5 minutes ... remove ... cool ... unwrap ...

bob shovel likes this.