What Does Yardney Have to Say???

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 3rd Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

He did a blog in March titled, " Why you shouldn't invest in Adelaide". I was wondering if anyone has read it and has a view on it. He sights lack of economic drivers and population demographics.
    Do any of you here plan to invest in Adelaide in the next coming months or would you rather go regional NSW/Vic or Brisbane suburbs?

2. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

Yes, Terry Ryder is also big on Adelaide=the state has a lot of good long term economic prospects over others-e.g. defence, domestic tourism, festivals, agriculture, food & wine etc.

ollidrac nosaj and Serveman like this.
  3. Serveman

Yes I saw that podcast as well, so therefore who is correct?

4. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Have been putting offers on property over the last couple months in Adelaide.
    Missed out on a property last week, advertised $415k SOLD $505k
    Looked at another property, up for auction next week.

Already own 2 in regional NSW

Sackie, Perthguy and Serveman like this.
  5. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

I'd go with Terry & I, have a read up from other threads on this forum about Metropole and some of their investment strategies-I am thinking they may not suit Adelaide.

Serveman likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No

7. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
  8. Serveman

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If you search PC, there have been several threads hyping Adelaide market, seriously during this period could you have practicably doubled your money in either Syd, Mel, Perth... all boomed during this period.

My point is timing is everything... get this wrong and you will be waiting a long time for growth, you don't get that time back. Cash flow is one thing, but its growing capital that makes you rich and its a catch 22.... you need capital first to grow income streams.

MTR:)

Serveman likes this.
  11. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Adelaide isn't a market that does Hype... Doesn't really boom like other markets - similarly doesn't drop back 10-20%

craigc, ollidrac nosaj and Serveman like this.
  12. Serveman

At my age I can't afford to get it wrong. I can pick up a house under 400k in Hallet Cove, or stay NSW and go Lake Macquarie for not much more. Adelaide's capital city tag is an attraction but I don't have enough knowledge of the real demographics of Adelaide.

13. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Syd & Melb have outperformed everywhere over the past decade.

But Perth!? Please! Adelaide's growth has outperformed Perth growth since 2007.
    SA.GOV.AU - Median house sales by quarter

https://www.perthnow.com.au/lifestyle/real-estate/perth-house-prices-lowest-in-decade-ng-b88671223z

Also most of the hype on PC has consistently been for Brisbane!!!

Personally I would invest in Adelaide over regional areas. Despite Perth's recent stagnation I have confidence in it long term due to projected population growth.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I live in Perth it did boom between 2013-14, you wont see this on any stats, but it did happen. Sure Perthian investors will know this. I was developing at the time and it went gang busters, however not the same time frame as Syd/Melb markets. It was the changes to FHB market that started this boom

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

If you have a look at individual suburbs then the boom you are referring to is very clear. It started in 2012 and ran until the end of 2014. Examples:

Thornlie Investment Property Market Data

Embleton Investment Property Market Data

2FAST4U, Sackie and MTR like this.
  16. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Adelaide is Australia’s most underrated property market

“Adelaide is the most boring market in the nation right now but at the same time is the one we think will surprise people in the year to come,” Mr Ryder said.

“In fact, in the Summer 2018 edition of our Price Predictor Index report, Adelaide ranks as the number one capital city in Australia in terms of the number of suburbs with growth markets."

“Uplift in the premium market is often an early signal of a strong market upcycle,” Mr Ryder said.

“Kensington Park, St Georges, Henley Beach South, Hyde Park, and Hazelwood Park all have median prices above $1 million and have had median price growth of 20 per cent or more in the past year."

“The leading precinct, with 12 growth suburbs – which makes it a nation-leading market – is Port Adelaide Enfield - which is likely to attract growing interest as the massive project to build Navy vessels unfolds."

2FAST4U, Perthguy and Serveman like this.
  17. Serveman

It's amazing how 2 professional experts can have such different views on the same topic.

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  18. ollidrac nosaj

Alot of the bearish sentiment on Adelaide was centered on the Holden closure and the expected rising unemployment rate, but:

No Cookies | The Advertiser

"SOUTH Australia’s jobless rate is lower than before the closure of the Elizabeth Holden factory as the state continues to experience strong jobs growth.

The state’s official unemployment rate for September was a seasonally-adjusted 5.5 per cent, down from 5.7 per cent in August."

2FAST4U, Serveman and Perthguy like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If you want to improve your chances of growth then perhaps look at ways to add value, find a property which you can develop now or in the near future.

Ryder gets it wrong most of the time

Vuew thread..... rate gurus???

Serveman likes this.
  20. ollidrac nosaj

Sure, though that doesn't make him any different from any other economic/investment commentator.

Putting that aside i would love to hear any contraian views on why he is wrong re: Pt adelaide Enfield? Or on Adelaide in general?

Serveman likes this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.