What does Michael Yardney say

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by MTR, 22nd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

His strategies may work in a boom that lifats all prices.
    Other than that I did not think his commentary had much value and stopped paying attention years ago.
    He was always about "time in the market" and "quality real estate" (which obviously was whatever he was selling) when he was selling property deveopments.

craigc and skater like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I have both, blue chip and non blue chip in growing areas. There is no doubt my blue chip have performed exceptionally however when compared with my non blue chip in terms of capital layout, holding costs etc...I think my non blue chip may be the overall winners.

Last edited: 15th Mar, 2021
    George Smiley, craigc and oracle like this.
  3. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

Neither it is about being able to use equity ( other people s money) finance , leverage and expansion, growth is useless with out yeild. Blue Chip is a BS term used to seduce the gullible by people who have limited ability knowledge and competence. Crappy expensive poor performing units are MY's bluechips. When he discloses his wealth he maybe able to claim Australia;s No 1 investor title. Then he wont have tp claim it by bribing people with free gifts to vote for him to claim a title from a dodgey magazine. Why blue chip is BS (yourinvestmentpropertymag.com.au)

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Mar, 2021
    skater likes this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

According to his criteria none of my properties are any good & I should be penniless, not living off of rent, like I am.

There is nothing about the man that I admire or respect especially when he promotes overpriced units to the unsuspecting.

5. oasis1frog

oasis1frog Well-Known Member

Met his BA years ago when I first started out, asked him how much the rent yield of a property he tried to flog, his exact words : " rent has nothing to do with it" ?!

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Very ignorant!

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I do like blue chip houses, however very difficult to hold
    Everything performs well when markets are booming

Beano and MWI like this.
  8. devank

devank Well-Known Member

One inner Sydney house = 1 QLD + 1 SA + 1 TAS similar houses
    I moved from L.H.S to R.H.S and glad I did that.

MWI likes this.
  9. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I must admit I read his and his writers blogs, but I take out the numbers or stats or what I need.
    I like to be open minded and learn as much as I can as there are many ways to invest into property.
    I personally prefer to play Monopoly in real life, buying few average and then a hotel!:D
    I think it's hard to buy a hotel first and in Monopoly cannot do it without the houses and quite few rents first!;)

Sackie and Pingu1988 like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

11. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

12. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

14. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member

I keep seeing these bank predictions. Are they actually forecasting or backcasting?

ANZ says Sydney will increase 19pc in 2021 (the chart shows it's already achieved 15pc YTD) and Melbourne 16pc (already done 10 pc). CBA upgrades 2021 calendar year growth to 10 pc when every city has essentially surpassed that. Makes no sense?

craigc likes this.
  15. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

IMHO, no one has a crystal ball.
    Instead perhaps Negative Interest Rates are coming?
    Could RBA Rates Go Negative?

With the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) likely to keep official interest rates on hold at a record low at its August meeting on Tuesday, there has been speculation recently the central bank could be preparing to take its cash rate into uncharted territory.

Although the RBA has said a negative cash rate – which is in place in Japan and some European countries - would be highly unlikely, the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) has written to Australian banks to ask them to ensure their systems can cope with negative rates should these occur.

The extensive lockdown in greater Sydney and other parts of NSW which has led to similar lockdowns interstate will have certainly put a dampener on forecasts of the national economy improving to the point where the RBA could contemplate raising official rates any time soon.

But talk of negative rates is something never before seen in this country, and something the Reserve Bank has said would not happen.

Negative interest rates occur when borrowers are credited interest rather than paying interest to lenders. With negative interest rates, commercial banks are charged interest to keep cash with a nation's central bank, rather than receiving interest.

A negative interest rate doesn't necessarily mean banks pay you to take out a home loan. In Denmark, 'Jyske Bank' offered a 10-year fixed home loan at minus 0.50% back in 2019. This effectively means the money owed every month falls by more than the repayment. Denmark's central bank's cash rate is now at zero. However, back in March, 2020, it was as low as minus 0.60%, considerably below what we have now in Australia with a cash rate of 0.10%.

[​IMG]

Les's Shout

The warning to banks about whether they can cope with negative rates could be compared to what happened at the turn of the last century when companies worldwide feared computer systems could crash with the Y2K bug.

Nothing happened back then!

APRA has asked for feedback from banks by August 30 before laying out its requirements by the end of October.

MTR likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

17. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

This chart from that article by Metropole.
    Brisbane barely moved from 10 years ago.
    Even good old Adelaide have done better.
    Hobart is the shooting star.
    Perth have collapse.

Pretty much sums it up.

upload_2021-10-11_10-46-30.png

18. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.