What do you think will happen to bank share prices after the royal Commission report?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Barny, 1st Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Buy now or wait until after the report to see what happens?

1. Buy now

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Buy after

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Not buying banks at all

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

For long term investment bank shares are something i would hold.
    Interested to see what others think will happen after the report is released at 4pm on Monday once markets close.

Is this a time to buy now, or do you think further headwinds will tank share prices/dividends further?

I’m leaning towards taking a punt and buying on Monday prior to the report.

Anyone else buying?

Silverson likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Been buying as a routine top up - but I have one tranche worth of cash set aside in case there is a super bargain on Tuesday....:D

I hold the view that the big banks will find some innovative ways to generate more income, RC or not. So while divs *might* be affected - I think it will be a short term effect.

The Y-man

Barny likes this.
  3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

HODL in my case

Barny likes this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Banks could go up after the report.

But I've been trading mining shares and have had the best January in a long time.

5. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I have been watching this onec. What Matt Comlyn (CBA) suggested at the RC around broker remuneration (fee for service for brokers- no more commission) was a wild recommendation that would ultimately greatly benefit the major banks. It has been proven through subsequent research that nobody is going to pay to use a broker and as a result, the third party distribution channel would become obsolete (well not completely, but largely).

Given that in recent times brokers represent approx 59% of originated loans this would have a tangible benefit on lenders that rely on the third party distribution channel - lenders like Macquarie and numerous others. They would lose their source of business and as a result this would all gravitate toward the majors. This major share gain would then result in smaller competition as the smaller lenders exit the market and

SO with this in mind... you would think that there would be a run on the banks. Our country is hopeless when it comes to the confidential nature of announcements for publically listed companies, so I would have expected if the rumour leaked that the fee for service scenario will materialize then there would've already been a buying spree on the major banks. But I don't see it in the charts, so I don't think the fee for service scenario will materialize.

Given that, I don't see upside for the majors with the announcement. Perhaps there will be with smaller lenders like MQG, BEN, etc. Opinion only, not advice :)

6. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

If I had to make a punt I would say that they will progressively trade lower over the course of Monday. How they open on Tuesday morning will of course depend on the final report from the commission. There will have beeen sufficient time for the market to digest the key findings overnight, so would expect the price at open to be well considered.

If I had to take a guess I would say odds are more likely for a rally on Tuesday, a lot of uncertainty about th RC and expectations of really bad outcomes. Would have to be some pretty dire recommendations to go beyond people’s expectations.

If it really is bad news and they get sold off hard, I would be very inclined to buy because really - how much worse could things get!

7. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

If they report the truth, then shares will go down.

Barny likes this.
  8. KittyCat

KittyCat Well-Known Member

I'm holding but possibly buying more if prices drop further....

9. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

for your info there are currently $5 billion shorts on the banks by offshore players this week so they thinking banks will get a copping but they have been wrong before just for your info.

I am waiting, I don't see the rush to buy banks in this cycle, too many headwinds
    I am waiting to digest 1/2 yearly result + Hayne Report then I will make up my mind

KittyCat, Barny and Islay like this.
  10. KittyCat

Hi PandS how did you find that out? Always looking for good tips on how to analyse what's happening in the market :)

11. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

By reading far and wide and from many sources .. AFR .. WSJ .. Bloomberg etc..

Hedge funds sell and short banks ahead of banking royal commission final report

that figure based on 31st December number since then 4 major banks has got short increase on my rough calculation it around 6bn short across the 4 banks
    @KittyCat if you bore here is something you can play

S&P 500 Map

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2019
  12. KittyCat

13. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Silverson likes this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Looks like "Buy now" is the winner. Who was the other clever investor on the money?

CBA up over $3 today, other banks up to 7% up.

15. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Giddyup

16. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

What a fool I was to expect a positive outcome for consumers out of the royal commission. Long live capitalism eh?

17. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Would you believe I talked myself out of buying prior and waiting...oh well, there’s always the next royal commission to buy up prior :)

18. The Y-man

Just sold and locked in profits for ANZ, BEN, NAB, WBC, BOQ this morning - but they were "regular top up" purchases that I would have done regardless, and was not specifically for the RC - although I DID hold back on one buy trigger for NAB so could have bought more... uh well, overall good.

The Y-man

Barny likes this.
  19. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Good job @The Y-man . Thought about picking up individual bank shares a number of times over the last few months but decided I will just leave it up to the fund managers to decide what to buy and when.

20. The Y-man

My strategy over the past few years have been as follows:

I owe the bank(s) $X

I pay Y% interest annually.

The bank's shares pay Z% pa dividend annually.

The bank is unlikely to go out of business because they have lots of customers like me with loans, and most of them should be relatively low risk (and lower risk going forward - Thank your APRA!! :) )

So if Z% > Y%
    I might was well buy the banks shares, instead of paying down my loan.
    It gives me an arbitrage of (Z-Y)% pa that I otherwise wouldn't get.

The Y-man