What do you think of my doors now?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Lizzie, 16th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

40+ outside all week so finding some inside jobs to do ... decided the seven white doors down the hallway, with the white walls, with the high white ceiling were too bland. Painted them Monument to match the window frames ... pretty happy with the result ... now I simply wish the good fairies would visit to fill/sand/paint all the skirtings and architraves

20190116_112249.jpg

Kryys, Jacque, TheRayTracer and 10 others like this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Love the dark doors Lizzie. Punchy.

Lizzie likes this.
  3. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Looks great. Frames need to be darkened though..

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I googled "dark doors white frames" and "dark doors dark frames". I like the white frames. But it comes down to personal choice. I think dark frames would mean you really need to do dark skirts. Where does it stop? :D

Brady likes this.
  5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Dark door dark frames look oppressive esp when the door is open. Dark door on white frame is a nice contrast.

WattleIdo, Brady, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

It’s like a drug! :D:D
    The other problem with light frames is eventually they get marks, skratches etc from dark doors. Darkness rubs off on the eventually

7. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Love it, you've just inspired me to do ours. Was wondering how to update the look of our new place, now I;m thinking adding wide trim boards to the doors to effectively panel them then a similar colour to what you've done (love the dark door/white trim contrast personally).

Can I ask, did you brush, roll or spray them? If you sprayed them. what equipment did you use? I have a compressor and spray attachment, I dd all our new trims in our old place whith it but it was a tough job as I used oil based paint from memory and I didn't have room to lay everything out properly so they were set in a dusty floor, the spray would blow dust from the floor up into the pant so the finish I got wasn't great.

What brand and colour paint did you use? Undercoat first or two top coats? (I HATE painting).

Cheers.

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Looks great Lizzie.

I'm doing the opposite - sick of the Australiana timber everywhere so I'm painting all my door frames and window surrounds China White to match the inside doors.

@Propagate you can now get water-based enamel. When we painted all our internal doors a few years ago, we rolled.

Propagate likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Nice idea but nah - I like the contrast :D . If the doors are fitted properly they shouldn't rub against the frames

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2019
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The doors were already hung, so I used a thick nap mini roller and brush for the finishing off along the jamb.

Just used a heavy duty interior paint in matt. Colour was Colorbond Monument, to match our window frames. The doors came already with an undercoat (in white) so applied two top coats, making sure I went over to pick up any sections that were a bit thin after I'd finished them all

Propagate likes this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Love it. I've done doors in Dulux Domino which is very similar to Monument and I loved the look.

And yes I would keep the trim white too.

12. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Nice job @Lizzie - I like them just as they are :)

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia