What do you spend your money on?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Ouga, 21st Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Timmyd02

Timmyd02 Active Member

I happily spent money on enjoying life.

Overseas trip every year (not extravagant trips though)
    4wd touring trip somewhere in oz every year
    Cars - 4wd for work/touring and other cars
    Motorbikes. Me and the wife
    Eating out
    Entertainment-theatre, shows, events
    I earn it to enjoy it... hopefully in a few years I can ease up on work to have more time to enjoy also

2. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Quality power tools, pre-decimal coins and BJJ training.

3. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I have heard a few people say "overseas trips - but not expensive ones". Can I please ask what your version of that is? (ie what countries, for how long?) I'm trying to plan our future overseas family holidays (real AND fantasy) and I can't find any really "cheap" ones yet.... :(

josh123 and legallyblonde like this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

loaded question

for some 2000 a day is 'cheap"

ta

rolf

5. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

@Rolf Latham Not meant to be a loaded question but yes, agree many people will have varied answers. Interested to hear a few different variations. :)

6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

My pets
    My fitness
    My cars
    The charities I support
    Now.. my acres of land which are crying out to be tamed after years of being let go. Getting there slowly but surely

7. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

My Thailand holiday was 450 rtn for flights. Hotels averaged about 32 a night.. split two ways. Going crazy with good was about 25-30 a day each ( but it would have been cheaper if we ate more locally). Transport maybe 10 a day. Mostly just walked around to experience local life and ATE a lot! Few paid experiences too!

luckyone and josh123 like this.
  8. Timmyd02

Timmyd02 Active Member

I say not extravagant trips, we don't fly first or business class, we don't stay in fancy 5 star hotels or eat at 5 star restaurants.

9. josh123

josh123 Well-Known Member

I think cruising is the way to go. We are thinking of booking one soon for the July school hoildays to the south pacific again. With kids I think it's the best way to holiday.

luckyone likes this.
  10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We took the family to Indonesia for 3 weeks recently - accomodation was the most expensive thing but we weren't backpacking. I think we spent around $6k all up for the 3 weeks including flights which I consider cheap for an OS trip for 5 people.

legallyblonde and luckyone like this.
  11. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

When going to vietnam/ cambodia / thailand your really only expenses is the flights and accomodation. So $700 per person (if from southern states) + $30 - $50 for good accomodation (2 people)
    The rest is basically the same as what you would in a week in Aus. You get a free breakfast normally at the hotel. Then you buy lunch and dinner +drinks you are probably looking at $20 each for the day. $30 if you go to a nicer places. So about $150 for the week each

So really its about $70 per head a day (flights +accom/ 14 days) + tours or travel which are normally $10-$20 per person
    thats pretty cheap i reckon

12. strongy1986

I would spend most of my excess money if not all of it on my sailing boat/ trips away to regattas. Funnily enough i spend a lot on beer as well. The two seem to go hand in hand.
    Good fun, great memories, leaves me a bit poor most of the time but its worth it.

13. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Our big Europe trip came to $100/person per day just over two years ago. That was including everything - flights, hotel, internal train/plane tickets, spending and food :)

14. strongy1986

Yeah europe can be very cheap too but also very expensive. I think your lucuries in asia with 100 per day would be far higher

15. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure. The big cost saving with Asia seems to be the flights to get there. The rest of the savings are pretty marginal, especially for short trips. It would probably add up if it was a really long stay.

For our budget we got ~3 star hotels (private room/bathroom - many with breakfast), ate out for every meal, went hot air ballooning in Turkey, got tickets to see Barcelona play, went to the theatre and other shows in London, etc. Did lots of tours and day trips. The main thing our budget didn't allow for was a lot of shopping but there's always next time :p