What do you need to check when buying land?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by EN710, 18th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Hi PCers

We are visiting Melbourne to gauge whether we'd like to live there, and potentially buy a land + build early next year.

This is still a big IF, but what are the questions I need to ask if I'm interested with new land release? Do they usualy do negotiation for land price or is this usually fixed price?
    We are visiting the new estate as part of the visit, would be great to have some questions ready

And yes, have thought about buying existing house - can't see anything we like for the price range :oops:.

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

ADD:
    How do I check if the land has easement?

3. AusMover

AusMover Well-Known Member

Hi EN710,

The Estate Salesperson/rep should be able to tell you about any easements on the land, and should also have the maps/ plottings to show you the easement markings if any exists....

- You may like to ask about any estate/council restrictions (reg construction) for your land plot...... I think these are called "Restrictive Covenants" and would appear in the Title documents.

- Any slopes/ inclines?

Would you like to share the Suburb name and your price range?

Cheers.

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@AusMover Western side of Melb, the new land releases around Point Cook, Tarneit, Truganina etc.
    Price.... lower end aka. not much. If we ended up moving, it's likely that we will be in the state of looking for job. Aka. need to as low as possible and land as big as possible :rolleyes:. Rather not mention it now. Some of the agent I contacted refuse to mention their price and I rather not put it on forum right now. It's not hard to work out who I am.

Let's just say I find $250K land for anything less than 400sqm+ is very expensive.