TAS What do you guys think of Hobart to buy house

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Sigemup, 2nd Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sigemup

Sigemup Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of Hobart to buy house

2. Birdseed

Birdseed Well-Known Member

Oh dear... are we going to get one of these for every postcode in Australia?

Sigemup, you need to do some research of your own. It’s not sexy, but start with every other thread first to get some background. “Where to buy” is literally the last question in the process. And even when you get here - start with the search bar. Plenty on Hobart, as well as the other cities/towns you are scattershotting us all with.

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

The time to buy in Hobart might have been a couple of years ago.

Great city, though.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

To live in or invest? I noticed you've asked about a few suburbs in separate threads, Quaenbeyan, Regents Park, Dubbo, Artamon, Katoomba - What's attracting you to these areas, is it price?

jins13 likes this.
  5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Op, search overseas property as well.

6. Sigemup

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your replies ! I am doing research as well :) but asking these questions to get a general high level feel :) of the locality. (Besides I saw a lot of such posts asking if this or that area is good :-D )

I do understand what you guys are saying :)

What I am looking for is to invest in. But I am not would not be for a big capital growth. I am looking at property with below specifications:

1. Less than $250,000 (Max stretch to $350,000) (less than $1000 payments per month)

2. Location that is middle income range people and house prices are not inflated

3. Potential to not go down in this market (something that is not inflated in price) and potential to maybe grow 2 or 3 % over next few years

4. Rental yield enough to cover costs (mortgage and strata etc) and give 1 % or so profit.

Hence looking at regional areas or smaller cities etc and I like smaller cities as well to stay so. And since units do not grow quick and are less inflated than houses, looking at those as well.

Thank you

7. KevinJ

KevinJ Well-Known Member

Would have been a great purchase between 2015 to early 2017. Not now ... party's over.

8. Trainee

And whats the point here? 2k a year income, 10k gains over a few years. For what?

legallyblonde likes this.
  9. Sigemup

A house for retirement and would not have to pay rent then correct ?

10. Trainee

Why not move to a cheaper country if you dont seem to care where you live? Most people here aim higher.

11. Sigemup

I do care where I live and prefer somewhere here in the countryside or smaller city. And I would have the equity that keeps up with the market so I can buy where I want later. Or maybe now in places such as Hobart or Katoomba. With others it just keeps with the property market so I have equity to buy later.

Does not matter whether I aim higher or not. Just here for property chat so.

MrPinkCarpet likes this.
  12. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Funnily enough I have properties in both Upper Blue Mountains and Hobart.

On your budget I would be looking more regional again. Launceston, Bathurst,

13. MrPinkCarpet

MrPinkCarpet New Member

Agree. Bathurst is a great place in that $$$ range. A beautiful town with lots of potential

14. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I think you would have received a better response as what some of the others said by doing some research first, as it may be perceived negatively as a freeloader. Btw my hot tip area for you is Australia.

15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Given that list, I would personally opt for a commercial props thru a reit that is currently below bank valuation, using the internal gearing (no loan).

1. invest what you have - so no interest outgoings directly form you
    2. property in either capitals or big regionals, buy below bank value
    3. potential to grow will come from buying below bank valuation
    4. net yield of 6% after paying management fees, repairs, maintenance, and interest is possible

The Y-man

16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

I think this is a fair assessment. Probably some good opportunities still there but not going to see the immediate capital growth.

17. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

Interesting to see the sentiment from a year ago vs what actually happened. Incredibly, Hobart's party is still going strong. 10's to 100's of people through open homes, multiple offers, offers well above asking price... 90% of purchasers have been locals. Talking to a few agents, all are expecting even more pressure on the market once the borders open in a couple of days.

Hobart Australia's best performer on Knight Frank's Q2 global index

Serveman likes this.
  18. Trainee

The best prediction doesnt help if people dont actually buy anything.

19. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Hobart is still going strong but it’s now pricey. More value maybe at Lsunceston and Adelaide. No quality homes under 500k in the blue mountains.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia