What do you consider walking distance/close by?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by applesathome, 15th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. applesathome

applesathome Well-Known Member

In terms of adding value to a specific location, what distances do you think add value?

E.g. shops that are 3km away, are an easy 2-5 minute drive, but as a walk that's probably 30 min walk each way.

Is walking distance critical and if so what would you define walking distance?

If not, what would you consider close by car, anything within a 10minute drive for schools/shops/hospitals/transport etc?

2. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

For me:

"On the doorstep" = less than 100m
    "Easy walking distance" = less than 500m
    "Walking distance" = less than 1,500m

You ask if walking distance is critical... I guess that depends on personal preference. For my PPOR, easy walking distance to shops and transport was one of the most important factors - I have a car but prefer not to use it where possible. For others, walking distance might be a "nice to have" but not that important.

Edit - to add, I never considered distance to hospitals (pretty irrelevant in my view, unless you/family is chronically ill)... but turns out I live close to 2 hospitals!

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Ten minute's walk or nothing. I dont know where you are in Victoria, but Melbourne seems to be generally quite flat so walking and cycling would be much easier than in Brisbane where there are steep hills everywhere. Your Public Transport system is generally better than Brisbane's. But I have a private hospital within ten minute's drive and a large public hospital 15 minutes away.

4. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Depends on traffic/parking availability at the destination in a way.

Inner Sydney I consider upto 30 mins walk to be fine... as it will take about as long to drive before I fail to find a carpark anyway.
    Small rural or suburban areas I wouldnt walk more than 5 mins if driving/parking was easy.

Angel likes this.
  5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

That's probably not really walking distance for most people, but it is 'excerise distance'.

craigc, wylie and jaybean like this.
  6. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Casual walking distance: 300-500m
    Walkable distance: 1km

Anything else: jump in a car.

I also find it depends on transport to work vs shopping. Shopping needs to be closer as you'll be carrying things, whereas transport can be a tad further away cause generally all you'll have is your bag / laptop etc.

My preference is: food & shopping is less than 500m, transport can be up to 1-1.2km.

Shazz@ and Sackie like this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Prefer the transport closer than shops as you can catch it to the shops if needed.

15 min is max walk.

The Y-man

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You need to join the Melbourne Asian Seniors :D

[​IMG]

The Y-man

9. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

100% on board with this!

jaybean likes this.
  10. applesathome

applesathome Well-Known Member

A very loose, rough guestimate is that 1km takes approx. 8-12 minutes depending on the person, hills, their energy levels, fitness, and how much they are rushing, etc. so call it 10mins/km on average.

Makes sense as 1km walk would be about 10 mins each way which is reasonable for walking distance.

It's also interesting because even shops 500m away, without a car you can probably only carry a few bags in each hand. Even if walking distance, don't think the average Mum/Dad could carry home a full grocery week for a family of 4 without a car.

11. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Its relative. Distance in an inner suburb would be different from an outer suburb.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia