What do you call these places

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by dabbler, 14th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I have a PM that insists the below are "units"

Semi detached house

Duplex

In NSW many of these are torrens title, not strata, but one PM in particular says they are units and makes out that a 3 bed semi is the same as a 2 bed motel style unit.

I consider them a house, they have no common areas or usage of land, only a common dividing wall usually, how do you advertise them or class them ?

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I would not call anything with a common wall a "house". I would call it a semi, duplex, unit, maisonette or townhouse (if 2 story).

If I was searching in re.com.au and specified type: house, I would not expect such a dwelling to be listed and I get annoyed when they are. If I specified type: unit, I would expect to see a dwelling like that listed.

mikey7 likes this.
  3. 8650

8650 Well-Known Member

When I have a duplex come up for rent. I list it as a duplex under the property type as it is not a unit as it doesn't share common ground with the property next to it.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

To me, a house is stand alone on its own block of land.
    A duplex would be similar to a townhouse or villa in a complex.
    Marg

Angel and mikey7 like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia