What do you call a good builder?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Property101, 8th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul Mete

Paul Mete Well-Known Member

We have had extensive exposure to many many builders over our 30 years in the game.

Believe it or not we have had good experiences with most.

To answer your simple question
    A good sign to look for is repeat customers. A builder with repeat customers and positive testimonials is a good builder in our books.

We feel relationships are the most important part of the build. We know of a number of builders that have their customers call them 10 years later to build their next venture.
    THIS IS THE BEST ENDORSEMENT IN OUR OPINION!

frank22 likes this.
  2. frank22

frank22 Well-Known Member

Having said that ,Can you recommend a builder or builders ,preferably from the SE of melbourne
    Thanks

3. Paul Mete

Yes @frank22 we have a good network of builders we are very comfortable recommending.

I am not trying to be elusive but it does depend of the type of project and the level of finish & service required.
    For example an extension in Narre Warren would suit a different builder to a new house build in Malvern. It also depends on the stage the client is at. Do they have drawings ready or are they seeking a Design & Construct Service?
    For example, we have this builder we have used on and off for 15 years. His company is really simple. He may not even have a website but boy can he build high end stuff at a much more competitive prices than all others. He is on the site every day. Some people love him but if you were hoping for a more modern & interactive experience he is not for you.

We really care about our recommendations and we have an innate understanding of the capabilities of our network so we would like more info before just reeling off names and discovering we offered up the wrong fit.

PAUL

frank22 likes this.
  4. frank22

Thanks .Paul . My wife and I took a leap of faith and decided to subdivide an Investment property we own. We approached an architect and have started the process of getting plans and permits .
    We plan to build a 3 BV single strorey 174SQM home at the back of the existing house . We are not seeking anything fancy but an old fashioned builder ,like you mentioned above . A builder you can liaise and communicate with . What we have learned so far has been from experts like your self and forums such as this.
    Will appreciate if you can forward his details or PM me for more info .Thanks in advance

5. Paul Mete

Thanks for the clarifications @frank22, sorry but I have two more questions and I feel I could offer you an informed recommendation.

Q1. What suburb are we talking?

Q2. Are you using an architect (as apposed to a draftsperson)? and if yes, will they be supervising construction?

Some builders refuse to build projects where architects are involved and most al least add to the quote. How much is added depends on the level of involvement.

6. frank22

Thanks Paul
    We are building in Seaford 3198 and NO the Architect will not be supervising the build we are getting a private building inspector(for added measure) and also relying on the building surveyor

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Be wary of these builders, they don't want supervision or to be held to the quote and specs. They want to build and get away with less than agreed so will add $ to perform the works specified.

frank22 likes this.
  8. Paul Mete

Based on what we understand of your project we can highly recommend a company called Lifestyle by Design.
    Brad is the guy to chat to there.

They are currently building a duplex in Chelsea not too far from you.

Regarding @Scott No Mates comment. We have been engaging builders to build our own projects and recommending builders for other people for 30 years and our experience is that Architects Supervision is overkill. The price increases it attracts cannot be justified in most suburbs of Melbourne. You are free to go down that track if you wish we just simply want you to understand the cost implications.
    If you get the right builder and the right contract in place then another chef in the kitchen is simply not needed. A private inspector might be a good idea for your peace of mind.

frank22 likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The reverse is also true, dealing with an unknowledgeable client vs a knowledgable architect is a PITA.

10. Property Guts

Property Guts Well-Known Member

this thread reminds me of a sign i saw outside a mechanic workshop

"Customers please note:
    *) You can have a fast job
    *) you can have a quality job
    *) you can have a cheap job

Pick any two, but not all three"

Curious2019 likes this.
  11. Paul Mete

Just to clarify, the builder recommendation we made was for a very good job. We are comfortable the three boxes discussed by @Property Guts would be ALL ticked. 3 out of 3.

We are very confident that you would be very happy with these builders.
    There are other very good choices also but we certainly sleep at night knowing these guys are doing the work.

Paul

12. Rugz06

Rugz06 Well-Known Member

Honest and transparent.

Does what they say they are going to do regardless if you think it is right or wrong. Admits they made a mistake or if a subcontractor cancelled or was under prepared.