What do we think of the current Federal Government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Chilliblue, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

In another thread, we were told that the Countries they by-pass to get to Aus are "non-signatory" or words to that effect, and therefore they would not be allowed to enter/land there as refugees.

I find it hard to believe that someone would travel all the way from India, or the Middle East etc - a very long way and passing many Countries along the way; to get to here.

Says a lot about how good Aus is though - everyone is coming here!! :)

Go Aussie!!

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2015
  2. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Seriously? Ignored. Back to discussing things with actual adults.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I did not say anyting was illegal or illegitimate. Concession 4 is (was) certainly unwarranted. I agree generally on Concession 1 as a principle, however, if it is true the tax credits effectively bring down the cost of fuel to 6c per litre, I question the quantum of the tax credit. Does it need to be that high?

4. Bayview

I asked the question about how many we should take in in that other thread, and I didn't get an answer.

Anyway; If you put the figure at say; 1 million, what happens to the 3 year old child who is 1,000,001?

Let me qualify my position...again :rolleyes:....I am happy for refugees to come here - all of them....but not by boat.

But; who will be paying the bill, and how do we house/feed/employ them all?

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2015
  5. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Considering that most asylum seekers are prohibited from seeking employment whilst on a bridging visa, where do you propose they work?

They are also not eligible for social security payments nor social housing.

6. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

So how do you defend a system that increases costs (200 mill vs 1 bill) for no practical reason?

Or are you just going to ignore the question as it is too difficult?

7. Bayview

Totally agree.

But; no boats - fly them in; straight to the onshore processing centres which have their own airstrip.

Minimal disruption for the refugees during travel and less cost.

Properly set-up facilities with medical, education, normal amenities for living a basic but comfortable life while waiting....books, basic TV etc.

Plenty of allegiance to Australia stuff on the coffee tables - what our society expects, what our laws are etc. Get 'em clued up from day one.

8. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Your still comparing apples to oranges.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...ry_Library/pubs/rp/rp1415/RefugeeResettlement

Country of resettlement
    Number of persons resettled

United States of America
    Australia

Canada
    Sweden
    Norway
    United Kingdom
    Finland
    New Zealand
    Denmark
    Germany
    All others
    Grand total

miked likes this.
  9. Perthguy

It's indefensible. I hope this government closes the Manus Regional Processing Centre that the previous government reopened in 2012. As at 30 June 2015 there were 2,013 people in immigration detention facilities (1). That is an extraordinary cost for 2,000 people. We have gotten to the ridiculous situation where we now spend more money on asylum seekers than the UN spends on refugee programs in South East Asia (2).

(1) https://www.humanrights.gov.au/immigration-detention-statistics
    (2) http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-14/cost-of-offshore-processing-united-nations-fact-check/6609764

10. THX

THX Well-Known Member

http://www.minerals.org.au/file_upl...ralia_The_Case_for_Fuel_Tax_Credits_final.pdf

You may choose not to believe it considering the source but have a read anyway.

11. Perthguy

Thanks for the link. I have no issues with the source at all. As I said, I support the concept of fuel tax credits. I was simply questioning the amount. Still, it would be too complex and costly to have differential industry depend rates, so we'll just leave that one alone ;)

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That's 60,000 resettled worldwide, 5,079 in Australia. Out of 50 million refugees. We should be so proud of ourselves.
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/as-w...-australia-goes-backwards-20140620-3ajqj.html

13. Bayview

$610 per week rent!!? :eek: What the hell is she living in?

I don't know what Stevedores earn, but between my wife and I, plus our IP rental income - we are into the mid $100k per year.

We are currently trying to find a place to rent now that we've sold our house, and we are looking at 3 or 4 bed houses, with two living rooms and preferably 2 bathrooms and garage for storage of stuff.

There are decent houses available between $400 and $500 per week...this is houses, decent but not lavish, with a bit of yard....we have 3 kids, so need the space.

We hope to find one for about $450 per week. That's enough, I reckon.

This woman has two kids, used to live in a housing commission house (which are pretty average generally), so even a decent unit would be an upgrade.

A 2 or even 3 bed unit would be totally big enough for her.

$610 per week; ridiculous.

14. Bayview

Given that we are geographically so far from the majority of the world's problems and refugees, I find it hard to compare what we are allowing compared to other Countries.

Don't many of these refugees walk/drive etc across land and into the neighboring Countries?

Aren't many of those refugees living in what are basically "tent cities" as well?

15. geoffw

You are in the Mornington area though. Closer in to Melbourne would presumably be a lot more expensive, depending on area. Presumably Mornington is not close to where stevedores work. Port Melbourne is much more than that. Williamstown $580pw median for a 3br.

16. geoffw

If you want we can just compare to what we used to allow. Let's forget 50,000,000- yes, many living in tent cities so let's forget those. And they walked there, so we don't need to worry about them. What about comparing the 5,000 we accept now compared to 20,000 35 years ago when we had 15m- now we have 24m.

17. THX

THX Well-Known Member

NSW :D

18. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

Turk - these figures dont include asylum seekers who just turn up. These are refugees plucked from camps or high profile asylum seekers invited over. In europe most asyslum seekers arrive by boat, car and train. They are not 'resettled' the way australia picks its refugees.

In reality, the countries listed above take many, many thousands more refugees.

19. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

20. THX

THX Well-Known Member

I wouldn't exactly call having hundreds of thousands flood across your border as "accepting'' and I believe most of these countries will not actually resettle the refugees.

miked likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.