What do we think of the current Federal Government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Chilliblue, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

No offense but this is where the Bogan and simpleton element in Australia is voting for the far right..out of fear.

Couple of examples....what policy has the govt not introduced without scare mongering....

Also....this govt is embarrassing they actual think the renewal energy is rubbish. We need to run them out of town. Just the poor leadership here and their focus on the expense side rather than putting in the infrastructure to develop the nation is disappointing.

If you want at a liberal govt which is more visionary is look at the NSW libs....they are finally spending on the infrastructure...in a few years....Sydney will be doing really well if they deliver on transport, hospitals, town centers, another airport.

Chode, clint05 and AndrewTDP like this.
  2. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

I disagree, the government has a vision, its just so distasteful to the general public they are too scared to clearly outline it.

datto, sanj, Esel and 2 others like this.
  3. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Yep. Agree.

The NSW Lib gov't are a good example of responsible governance. And much needed after the last few years of the ALP.

I don't agree with them all the time, anyone who agrees 100% with a political party 100% of the time and always makes excuses for them needs to take a good long look at themselves, but they are actually spending money on long term projects and infrastructure rather than cheap and nasty vote buying exercises.

bob shovel likes this.
  4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Not really Andrew.

This current NSW Government is pandering to its supporters rather than creating long term solutions.

Hundreds of thousands of new high rise (30+ stories) in what are essentially residential suburbs with no green spaces, schools, hospitals and road systems at capacity and selling off whatever they can to overseas interests.

Infrastructures only recently built being ripped out and replaced so the asset can be on sold. Commercial buildings being rezoned as residential.

RMS and Sydney Water are constantly fighting with NSW Infrastructure and high up public servants are concerned that it is government financiers advising on projects without any input from those that have to build, work with, manage or live alongside.

In a few decades we will look back at this time and wonder why, when funding was at its lowest level ever did we allow this to happen.

5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

When the Gubb doesn't do enough, or quick enough; they get get canned, and when they outline a plan which is tough love and bad for the immediate hip pocket nerve; it is "scaremongering".

How do you deliver bad news without the Penguins getting scared?:confused:

Last edited: 9th Aug, 2015
    D.T. and THX like this.
  6. THX

THX Well-Known Member

I think the government has been hamstrung by a senate of fools and their own clumsiness. Unfortunately the era of 24/7 news and social media instant judgement has every party working reactively rather than proactively because god forbid you upset or make a tough decision anymore, some idiot on twitter will complain and be quoted in the media as the gospel.

miked, Bayview and Angel like this.
  7. Bayview

I agree, and I think this is where a Gubb needs to be bigger than to listen to Penguin noise, and simply work their plan, sell it to the Penguins as required, and work their plan some more.

8. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

Logical post is logical.

miked, shorty and sanj like this.
  9. Arnoldus

Arnoldus Well-Known Member

The current mob reminds me a lot of the Fraser government, it feels like we're just passing time until the leadership of both parties gets purged and some genuine leaders step up. One can only hope history repeats itself with Bill Shorten playing the role of Bill Hayden and stepping aside for someone more deserving of leadership.

Ed Barton likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I too am a Liberal voter - and disappointed ... but the potential of Shorten and his mob getting in scares me even more. The current government had so much potential to be positive visionaries - we could've been world leaders in science and renewable resources - green agriculture - medicine ... but we're just squabbling over who spent more on first class plane tickets.

A obstinate and negative Senate doesn't help ... they could take some lessons from the NSW state government.

I also wish the daily cycle of "polling" would stop as this only encourages the pollies to pander to the polls.

Angel likes this.
  11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree we need positive visionaries. I don't find that of this government or the last governments. The last governments seemed to invest a lot in the car industry and fossil fuels, and a bit in renewables. Lots of infrastructure like roads too. I'm not sure how much this government has wound back investment in fossil fuels but I know they have wound back some (not all) investment in renewables. Of course it doesn't help they got hounded in the press for wanting to fund solar thermal generation. What's wrong with that? This is exactly how stupid Australian politics has become.

http://theconversation.com/the-clea...on-is-meant-to-back-winners-not-minnows-44593

Also, did the Medical Research Future Fund legislation pass the senate? I think a huge problem for this Government is that they might do some useful things but if they don't tell anyone, they will never get any support. Of course the Medical Research Future Fund didn't go down well with the opposition. No suprises there from a negative, obstructionist opposition :rolleyes:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...iverted-for-pet-projects-20150604-ghgz4u.html

What would you like to see this government invest in? Personally, I would like to see invesment in:
    - renewable energy generation
    - medical research (as above)
    - more autonomy for hospitals
    - more autonomy for schools

and I wouldn't complain if my street got FTTN, considering NBN is already within 270m of my house :rolleyes:

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Mixed. But the other side is worse.

13. Bayview

I reckon TA does the exact opposite of this; he could care less about Polls, and doesn't seem to enter into these childish activities that the others do...he just goes to work, keeps his head down for the most part and keeps working on the plan.

This is a bit of a flaw though; because the Man himself is a terrific bloke; warm, loyal to friends (to a fault - Bronny Bishop, for eg) very intelligent, and Aussies like to see a terrific bloke up there - like a Bob Hawke etc.

His modesty and privacy is getting in the way of popularity; he needs to get out and be more visible, more demonstrative and so on.

The Aussie masses seem to like that more than someone who actually just...goes to work and tries to do stuff.

UPDATE; TA was being interviewed on ABC radio this morning, and was asked what he thought about the Polls, and his response was; "I pay no attention to Polls; I focus on doing my job - trying to Govern the Country"

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2015
  14. 380

380 Well-Known Member

very disappointing performance IMHO.

we are at intersection of slow growth(low commodity demands from china) and Austerity measurements (thanks to joe hockey) Instead of dealing with the most pressing issues, govt and opp is more interested in expense of MPs, approving Sydney airports without real infrastructure, etc.

Aus is in prime position to (some what) replace china with countries like India, Philippines, sri lanka and some micro -asia economy countries.

Successfully negotiated trade deals and right channels in place, can assist to replicate same growth story we had from 2000- till now. it will allow us to be part of growth stories of growing countries.

Politicians really need to pull their head out of sand, and make some tough decisions rather than worrying about their own seats! easy to say, hard to do i guess

15. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Yep.

The last 10 years or so in particular have been solely guided by short term opportunism rather than any form of actual nation building or investment in the future. The current Abbott government is the worst for this, but Rudd was not far behind - he just had the good grace to dress it up with platitudes and a smiling face.

It's just an ego and ideology driven race to bottom, and they won't suffer for it - they'll have a nice comfy pension. The country will suffer for it.

16. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Agree generally, but it is too late. I think the country is already suffering from it, we just don't know it yet. The only thing is that I don't know if it is ideology driven at all. I mean look at Labor voting down marriage equality. What was the ideology behind that? Labor "values" would dictate that discrimination should be abolished. I think that decision was pure ego driven. Same comments apply to jacking up costs for university and paying pack uni fees and also taking away money from low income earners (winding back superannuation co-contributions for low income earners). Since when has Labor been all about screwing over uni students and low income earners? Ego, not ideology. Worst of all was locking up children in detention centres such as Manus island, which they unbelievably reopened. It's been an unmitigated disaster for sure.

With the current government, they are supposed to be all about small government but they are not. They are supposed to be about less regulation but they are not. They were elected to balance the budget but they haven't done it. About the only ideology driven things they have done is repeal carbon tax and mining tax. Apart from that they don't seem to have done too much at all. IMO, they are primarily ego driven. I reckon Howard went from ideology driven to ego driven somewhere in his third term. Since then we have been governed by a succession of egos, not a succession of leaders.

17. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

No, not better than rudd gillard. I couldnt stand those 2 infighting idiots and voted for abbott and co but never have i been as ashamed of the people leading our country as i am now.

I used to laugh at americans voting in george bush, it isnt quite as funny now.

Our current leadership in this country is an utter disgrace.

Chode likes this.
  18. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Politics is definitely not a job that I'd like to do. The current political situation Australia finds itself in has been brewing ever since the early 2000s when Howard/Costello decided it was better to receive votes through middle class welfare than make governing decisions. They also managed to convince Australians that running budget surpluses were a good thing when they chronically underfunded infrastructure and increased immigration to never before seen levels.
    http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2014/01/howard-explains-australias-population-ponzi

Currently baby boomers make up the largest voting bloc in Australia. Pensions make up the majority of welfare, yet you won't hear politicians complaining about pensioners leading Australia to a 'budget crisis'. Instead it's a lot easier to blame marginalised people in society, such as 'dole bludgers'.
    http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=28114

Apart from their policies (or lack of) the biggest thing missing from either major political party is a vision of what Australia will become.What industries should we invest in? Should Australia blindly follow the neo-liberal free trade path or should Australia think about protecting some of its industries? Should we be selling off mines and agriculture to foreign investors? Atm all I see is short shortsightedness in politics.

Either way Labor don't inspire me with confidence so I'll be voting for an Independent at the next election but I'll still be voting Liberal above Labor when it comes down to my preferences.

Edit- Labor would only receive my preference vote if they committed to minimising privatisation. Yet they don't care about that either. They might talk about how they are 'for the workers and a fair go' but Labor are full of it and have their snouts in the trough as well.

Perthguy and sanj like this.
  19. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Oh My....

Chode likes this.
  20. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

I do not have anything against Liberal party. I have voted them in the past, but I dislike TA with the passion. Always have, even when they were in opposition. He comes across sexist. I hope that liberal party chances the leader and does that soon, because I do not want to vote labour... Give me please Turnbull or Julia Bishop any day over TA.

Gockie likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia