What do we think of the current Federal Government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Chilliblue, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about that. Don't recall Howard being charged though, so it was probably just speculation by the lawyers.

2. Hoffy

Hoffy Well-Known Member

The question is though, why didn't she do the same good job when the ALP were in charge? Why did she meet with them and agree to hold off on the inquiry? The opposite of moral. Why did she lie? She is a disgrace.

THX likes this.
  3. Hoffy

Hoffy Well-Known Member

No it's not. It is to investigate Union governance and corruption.

The link to the ALP is clear and transparent. It is the political arm of the Union movement. No inquiry needed on that front.

4. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Fair call. I was incorrect with my description. But I stand behind my belief that this and the insulation royal commission are simply to help the government get re-elected. But a precedent has been set now, next time Labor is in power, I expect multiple royal commissions that are designed to hurt the LNP. What goes around comes around.

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

ALP is always open to calling a Royal Commission on anything they want. Personally, I would like to see them call a Royal Commission on treatment of staff and detainees at detention centres such as Manus Island. The only problem here is that it was the Gillard Government that reopened Manus Island and put hundreds (or thousands?) of children into detention. The Human Right Commissioner raised concerns about the treatment of detainees under the Gillard Government. It seems likely that to hold this government accountable, through a Royal Commission, for what it has done, the Gillard Government would be dragged into the mud too. It will be interesting to see if the next Labor Government does exactly that or if they back off because they don't want to embarrass the ALP. Still, that may be a bad example because there has been the Human Rights Commissioner has been releasing regular report (even under Gillard) outlining issues with the treatment of detainees. Being a matter of public record, it seems there may not be a need for a Royal Commission?
    The other side is that even if the insulation commission and the unions commission were orginally called to embarrass the ALP, it doesn't mean they won't be useful.

6. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I'm all for a Royal Commission into the handling of refugees. Both sides are disgraceful in that area. You misunderstand me, I'm not a Labor supporter, I just see them as the lesser of 2 weevils. Nor do I vote for them.

All the findings in the insulation commission have been uncovered extensively by coronial inquests and work cover type of investigations. If you throw enough mud, some sticks right :)

7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I wasn't implying you are a Labor supporter (this time... :) I did that before and was corrected). I was just pointing out that by calling a Royal Commission into detainees, ALP might be shooting themselves in the foot, so they probably won't, even though we would both like to see them do it! :)

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the Insulation Royal Commission. Hopefully something to stop that kind of stupidity from happening again. Not that it would though.