Food & Dining What do people think about services like Hellofresh?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 13th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If you've tried Hellofresh, would you recommend it?

I figure I'm happy to not go shopping for groceries and should eat more veggies in the diet. The only veggies we buy at our home are the frozen type.

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Youfoodz is incredible.

Tasty, healthy, fresh and portion controlled.

Saves us a lot of time! Kids love it too.

Cheers

Jamie

3. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with frozen veggies

Ross Forrester likes this.
  4. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Hellofresh was ok but not great.

We found aussie farmers or other veggie delivery better (best so far was a local vgreen grocer).

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I used them before, I think it's good but if ypu b know how to cook and what to cook, it would be cheaper to get them ordered from local grocery. You'll still need to prep the ingredients and cook either way.

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Never tried it but my brother in law was on the lite N easy for a while. The food looked like something NASA would pack for the astronauts when they had an Apollo mission.

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

If you're not happy to go shopping, why not just go for online shopping through your own supermarket? It seems to me that you're paying a premium to services like HelloFresh in return for a little basic menu planning.

Barny and wylie like this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Problem with that is I have to think about what to cook....

chylld likes this.
  9. geoffw

First world problems... having to pay somebody to think for you ;-)

10. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

@Gockie We’ve been using Healthy Chef Prepared Meals, Home Delivered | Dineamic for about a year or so now, love it.

Started with it out of curiosity primarily as we both work long hours and our diets were getting terrible due to rushing quick and easy dinners or takeaways late at night.

Looked at Light n Easy as a convenience means rather than health/diet as such but they looked so unappealing.

Found Dinenamic after researching a bit and loved it immediately, since then a lot of friends have jumped on board too.

We don’t bother with the lunches or sides, but the mains are great value. $13-$15 for a main that feeds two (great for portion control too).

You make your own staple, so brown rice or whole-wheat pasta and just nuke the main. All made from real ingredients, plenty of meat in the meat dishes and all taste great.

Works great as pasts and rice keep for ever in the cupboard and the meals are frozen, so you always have a decent meal on hand. Just run out to grab fresh veggies if you want those as sides too.

Lately we’ve cut right back on the carbs so instead of rice & pasta with the mains we just steam some greens to accompany.

Saved a fortune as there’s no waste, we used to do a huge shop on Sunday for the dinners for the week then get lazy and not cook most of it ending up throwing it away the following week. There’s no waste with Dineamic, just take one out of the freezer in the morning and cook your rice/veg whatever on the evening as it’s warming through.

Been great for us in terms of variety, portion control, less waste and the convenience factor is superb.

We generally use them weeknights as Emma enjoy to cook, so she’ll knock something up herself on weekends.

EN710 likes this.
  11. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Tried HelloFresh once and having someone make this decision for me (and provide all the ingredients) was great. Really liked the meals themselves too.

Didn't continue for more than a week though as it was just too expensive.

12. geoffw

Chylld food?

It might even be worth while taking the service for a month- by the end you will have a variety of shopping lists and recipe ideas enough to do it yourself.

13. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Actually after that week we kept our favourite HelloFresh recipe on our fridge, thinking we'd like to have that again. Never did; either we had other recipes we wanted to try, or there were new pre-marinated/pre-prepared raw meats available at Coles/Woollies for me to grill over charcoal :D

geoffw likes this.
  14. geoffw

If you have things to cook then it's fine. You don't need a delivered service. @Gockie needs ideas hence my suggestion.

15. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Your suggestion would be complemented well by having Coles/Woollies home-deliver the grocery run. Still get to pick the bits that you need for your favourite recipes, but without the time, fuss and carpark dings of physically doing the grocery run yourself.

geoffw likes this.
  16. geoffw

Sounds good to me.

I don't mind shopping myself, it's fairly laid back here. Back in the day when supermarkets closed at 6 on weekdays and 12 on Saturdays- that's a completely different story.

17. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

18. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Which one are you eating? Bulking/maintaining or diet? Taste?
    Was looking at getting these as well, started making my own this week for $3.80 per meal, but can't be bothered all the time.

19. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Been maintaining/ diet program. I don't like all the options, so do custom make my order.

Barny likes this.
  20. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Gockie, could I suggest Farmers Markets?
    I have to say I get really fresh things and they last for ages!
    If you choose to go down this avenue, consider having a 'good fridge' that has humidity control, to keep your yummy vegetables and fruit from going...
    I buy meat in bulk and cook portions then freeze myself.
    As a time poor person I do this every 3 months or so.
    It works for me, and I like to meet the people who grow the seasonal food I eat.;)
    I think Orange Grove Market is near you!

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia