NSW What do I need to request for from tenant wanting pet

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by giraffez, 17th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

My tenant has advised me they are getting a puppy. I have no issues with having a pet in my property. But given its a puppy, i worry a little about toilet training, teething etc Can I specify that any damages to the property as a result of the pet the tenant will need to be responsible for? What is the best way to formalise this. I have an agent. Do i get them to do an addendum to the lease or is an email ok?

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

3. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Is there such a thing?

also can the tenant then ask me to install things like proper fencing and gates for their pets at my cost?

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2021
  4. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Can't have a pet bond in NSW unfortunately.

Tenant has rented the property as it is, so if they want fencing/gates then its up to your discretion or they can arrange at their cost.

I would check that your landlord insurance covers damage from pets and get tenants to sign a pet agreement just to ensure that they understand their responsibilities.

Assuming yours is not a strata property - otherwise also get strata approval (becoming gradually more straightforward in NSW).

(Also it seems like you second guess your PM a lot...I would personally want to get someone I can trust and have confidence in their management)

giraffez and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

That'd be you right? Responsive, accountable and proactive. Smick!

To OP....If you are going to let them have a puppy but are concerned with damage from that cute little puppy (awwwhhhh) then you will put yourself in one big conundrum.
    Id say no to the puppy, period!

giraffez likes this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

With tanancy laws these days you will find it difficult to say no.

I've agreed to pet's so long at the tenant agrees to conditions added to the lease agreement (steam cleaning of carpets prior to tenancy end/ or replacement if there is urine smell after, and any damage caused by a pet determined not to be fair wear and tear/cats climbing curtains/dogs scratching at doors or chewing architraves).

Fencing gates and such if not already in place will be the tenants problem, and again if they wish to make such a change they need permission

giraffez likes this.