What Differentiates a Spruiker from a Genuine Advisor/Coach/Guide/Mentor

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by BKRinvesting, 27th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Ha ha brilliant. And so true!

2. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Loving the discussion, thanks for the input so far,
    For the record this isn't because I'm considering a mentor service or anything like it,
    It's just something I've been thinking about lately given the raft of dodgies out there tarnishing any genuine advisors (if there are any). Which really is a shame given the lack of financial education across the broad public as a whole.

3. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

I have found that people dont value or commit to what hasnt/doesnt cost them something.
    Personally when i was doing free teaching and support for 12 months that many only turned up when they felt like it ,but when being charged really knuckled down and valued every minute-Its funny human nature ,but just the way we are wired i believe.

Kate Moloney, kierank and WattleIdo like this.
  4. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Lol Love it !

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Have to admit I have experienced the same.

kierank likes this.
  6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I found this too. I used to give free consultations some times, but people didn't value it at all.

kierank and Property Twins like this.
  7. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

I guess for me that defines it for me in a nutshell.

I define the difference as ........did you get fair advice for fair compensation...........or are you being exploited and taken advantage of because the advice was tainted and untrustworthy to begin with.

8. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Although I agree with you on this in general, I have to say sometimes there can be exceptions. I met a very successful property investor and developer who has become a mentor of mine. He is always available to chat when I have something on my mind and always gives me frank, straight forward opinions which help me to think in depth about a decision i may have to make. He has never asked for anything in return, nor has her ever insinuated anything of the sort. He has never suggested a property to me nor does he have any affiliations with any other company. He is just a very passionate investor who has been in the game for a long time and takes joy in seeing others succeed.
    At the same time, I do know this kind of thing is very hard to come by and therefore I really value our time together and have a huge amount of respect for him.
    But like I said, I can see how most people would not value this if they're not paying.

WattleIdo, 733 and MTR like this.
  9. RedMarty

RedMarty Well-Known Member

I looked up Mentors R Us but alas nothing there. :)

10. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

I agree there are people who are willing to advise for nothing and dont expect anything in return because they are just nice people.
    -Have you ever thought of offering yr mentor payment once in a while just to show you value, honor and respect his help and kindness. I know for me i love helping many people for nothing but occassionallly someone will come along who just really wants to be generous to me back as well -I know that feels really good from my end like the help was really valued -
    Just a thought

11. Player

Player Well-Known Member

To my modality of thinking a mentor doesn't get paid. They are paying forward by passing on knowledge, wisdom, insights and strategies. They have nothing to sell. Their time is valuable however and hence they don't suffer fools. They will see a glimmer or a spark in the eye of the protégé and help them to grow and expand. Those who are paid are either advisors, coaches or spruikers. Sometimes they are camouflaged as all three. :cool:

S.T, Gurtofen, WattleIdo and 2 others like this.
  12. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Agree.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

many want to replicate successful people, whatever that is, problem is very few want to do the hard yards. mentor or no mentor won't work unless you have the passion and drive

Some on PC give advice etc and don't want to be paid, it's a huge responsibility, perhaps they don't want another day job?

I think everyone should be their own mentor because you broaden your horizons, learn from many not one.

Last edited: 28th May, 2016
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've had mentors/coaches in the past and present ( both paid and unpaid) who have helped me a great deal and I've probably made few hundred times the return on fees paid (though difficult to exactly quantify), and also probably saved me money as well as learning a ton. I have always believed that the right mentors can be great, especially when you want to enter a specialized field or need help with something more specific or with a higher degree of risk involved. Unfortunately, great and genuine mentors/coaches, whatever you want to call them, are really far and few between. That has at least been my experience.

Last edited: 29th May, 2016
    BKRinvesting and Patamea like this.
  15. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

The best mentors are usually free, for example your parents, friends and ofcourse the amazing bunch of users on PC :)

That said you can I believe definitely pay for a mentor. Ask some of the brokers on here how they started out and I dare say it was through a mentoring program where they forego some of there commission for education.

16. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

They actually require to be mentored for their qualification I think, so not really a comparable. I think there should also be a distinction between mentor and educator.

17. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes brokers need 2 years experience to be able to join an aggregator and/or become accredited with lenders. A way around this if for them to be under the mentorship of an experienced broker (someone with more than 2 years experience).