What did your bathroom reno cost?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ian87, 27th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Hi I know this is a piece of string question depending on what you use so looking for cost of trades for a small bathroom reno. It is 5m2 would be replacing floor tiles, wall tiles that are 150cm high, vanity, mirror and shower and shower screen with full waterproofing. Would be good to get an idea of what people have spent in Melbourne so I have a ball park when dealing with trades.

Thanks.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We did this in Brisbane, gutted and new walls, ceiling, glass screen, vanity with calacatta marble top (off the shelf), toilet, linen pushed into the wall (into a garage). Waterproofed, fitted off it came to about $11k, via a builder.

Toon, Codie, Archaon and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Thanks that is helpful, I am in Melbourne and got quoted almost 17k minus tiles and minus bath tub but with a very basic vanity, will try for a few more quotes and see where I get to.

4. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

That price you were quoted seems correct for Melbourne. I wouldn’t be surprised if your other quotes come in higher. There is significant cost in starting a new bathroom from scratch, regardless of the bathrooms size. Time to complete for a small bathroom is not necessarily any longer than a bathroom slightly larger as well (same amount of time to demolish, waiting for waterproofing to dry, lining up all trades).

5. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

In Mildura it cost me 5k for builder to gut, replace floor boards and tile , replace buy and install showe,r fix damage door and install towel rails and vanity basin, I bought vanity and taps and tiles may be about $700. Got ripped of by plumber to get when needed 1k, Electrician was 900 but he done alot of other jobs and including installing 2 exhaust fans. I painted and installed mirror myself. so about 7.5k. Did one with quality finish in Brighton Melbourne for 10k, Got a quote to remove shower screen and replace lining and a few tiles in Mildura for 8k, got builder who done the other one to do it for 1.2k

Ian87 likes this.
  6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I’ve found most bathroom renovators don’t get out of bed for less than $15k, regardless of the size and spec..
    if you get a quote for $15k or less for a medium size bathroom with medium spec I think you’re doing very well.
    Having said that the profit margin in bathroom renovations seem very high to me. The last bathroom I did approx 5years ago cost me about $7k (contracting out the waterproofing, floor tiling, plumbing and electrical), I did the rest.

Codie and housechopper2 like this.
  7. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Yeah I am realising that, I didn’t realise how big a job it was. And read lots of stories about people doing it for cheap as, but I think that is more cosmetic renovations rather than a full strip out. Thanks for your input.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our main bathroom quote was $31k for full gut, start again (probably five/six years ago?). I hated the specs he'd chosen. They were cheap fixtures and fittings.

We ended up going higher spec, stone bath, in-wall cistern, sliding glass shower screen doors, underfloor heating, all for $21k.

There was so much padding in the first quote it was ridiculous.

And the downstairs bathroom that I mentioned above was done by a builder we know and trust, total gut, new walls, ceiling, wall and floor tiles and still came in at $11k (smaller bathroom, cheaper toilet, one glass screen).

Archaon and Ian87 like this.
  9. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Yeah I am the stage where it seems like it is going to cost a fair amount no matter what so I may as well spend a few extra grand on really nice fixtues. The plan was to have enough left for a new bike but that isn't looking like happening haha. At least there is nowhere ti ride it just now.

10. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Where in Melbourne Ian? My trade I’m pretty sure would be better than $17k & May be able to help but as popular can select areas he works.

Archaon likes this.
  11. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I have done 2 full bathroom renos.. each were about the $10k mark (included everything)

nswvic, craigc and Ian87 like this.
  12. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I’d look to save money and get a new bike for $5k.. that’s what you’d probably save by project managing yourself. There’s a pretty good chance a bathroom renovator will subcontract out each trade and add a margin on each one.. there’s a few trades involved - carpenter, plumber, sparkie, waterproofer, tiler, glazier, painter. Most builder’s add a margin of 10-20%, but bathroom renovators seem to add margins of 30% or more

Codie, Ian87 and Stoffo like this.
  13. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Thanks am in south east Mt Waverley/Chadstone way. Had another quote that is more reasonable from a builder, hard to judge how much the extra coin is just mark up from the other places.

craigc likes this.
  14. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I should of said that I didn’t really move around too much of the plumbing- if you do, it will cost extra.
    To give you a rough guidance:
    - first step is the gut out- cheaper if the builder does this himself, they’ll order a skip, and if there’s asbestos, then this will cost extra. Around $2k for this as it’s a day’s labour. He may also get a plumber in.
    - 2. levelling the flooring and then gyprocking everything and adding cornices. If your changing your electrical points, then a sparkie will come and do his bit, plus add the ceiling fan. If builder does gyprocking himself, cheaper. Add about $1000
    3. Waterproofing - about $1000
    4. Tiling- $3.5k not including tiles. Ask the tiler to purchase the tiles, he will get it at a better rate that you. And you may as well go floor to ceiling to avoid painting.
    5. Fittings. Again plumber will have to come back. Fittings could cost anything, depending on what you go for.
    6. Shower screen about $1000, custom fit and installed. Frameless.
    Cost of a plumber coming out twice ($400-600, if he is a regular your builder uses). Electrician, a couple of hundred.
    Anyway, you get the idea (if I missed something, or my prices aren’t quite correct, I am sure others will correct).
    So depending on your fittings, and how much your builder wants to make from managing the project, I think $10-15k should be reasonable. Anything over that, I reckon your getting ripped off.

Ian87 likes this.
  15. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help, we just got a quote for 13.5k with fairly standard tiles and fittings, we will spend more on nicer tiles and fittings as we are living in it. That is around 5k cheaper than anyone else which almost worries me as I really don’t want issues in a year or so, but he seems to work alone, has no fancy website, no showroom or admin staff etc so maybe that keeps costs down.

16. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Agree with this ^

@Ian87 you will always pay a "margin" if you don't individually manage trades yourself. Expect to be paying a little more for the convenience.

Trades
    $65sqm normal 60x60 tiles or similar, $90sqm for odd sizes. $100 a shower niche etc.
    Waterproofing $650 - $1000
    Tapware, cabinetry, glass etc I used Highgrove bathrooms (great stuff, looks expensive but for 1/3 price of Reece)
    Plumber $90hr
    Electrician $90hr

Tom Rivera and Ian87 like this.
  17. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

I've just done a bathroom and ensuite reno in Melbourne and got my fittings (vanity, basins, tapware, towel rails etc) from Sunlight, a family run business in Highett. I went to Highgrove but they were more expensive ($150 more for same vanity) and are mostly out of stock. There's also a tile shop next door to Sunlight called Mint Tiles which have a good variety at good prices (I got my tiles here).

Sunlight Bathrooms - Moorabbin Bathroom Vanities Baths Shower Screens Taps Mirrors Accessories

Codie likes this.
  18. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

il definitely check these guys out when I do another.

19. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

We are in the middle of a bathroom reno at the moment. 3m x 3m room in old house. All new plumbing/electrical as the room was a dining room until last week. Includes a new wall to enclose the space, moving a manhole, removing floorboards and laying slab and additional plumbing outside to join to existing sewer pipes etc.

We bought all the fittings and fixtures ourselves. We got various quotes from builders for Labour only. They ranged from 13k to 28k.

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Will they find leaks and structural issues, asbestos etc? Plenty start with a budget to find issues. Then a wife who like the concealed cistern and nicer tiles...etc....it's like putting in a pool. It's a start point only.

24675 likes this.