What constitutes an interior wall?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Lewis Johns, 25th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lewis Johns

Lewis Johns Member

Our DA approved granny flat plans includes an internal wall I no longer want in the granny flat. It is not a load bearing wall.

It costs quite a lot of money to get the DA changed and local councils in Sydney won't certify the granny flat unless it is built as per plans - ie with this internal wall. I also don't want to waste money by building a wall then having to knock it down later.

Can I use a temporary wall like an office partition like this one instead? Free Standing Office Partition Divider Screen | Office Stock

It doesn't go all the way to the ceiling (it's only 1.8m high) and is not permanent but it is still a secure solid wall structure. Will this get me through the certification with the private certifier?

Or are there any other options anyone could suggest?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Ask your surveyor if you can go ahead and then submit 'as built' alterations to the plan once built. Quite often minor changes are made during the build due to architects drawings not working out etc.

If non structural it should be OK. I would get it in writing though. And I would be sure to get the engineers OK.

Later edit - just saw your note that NSW doesn't allow any alteration from the plan, so looks like that won’t work.

How expensive is it to get the plan altered?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What will a S96 cost you? At what stage is the approval? If you haven't got the CC, you can probably delete it at thIs stage.

4. Lewis Johns

Lewis Johns Member

The Council quoted $600-$700 to do a S96. I assume I would need to get the architect back involved as well because the council needs to see revised plans. It would set me back over $1000.

5. Lewis Johns

Lewis Johns Member

Architect council fees will set me back over $1000. I am hoping a portable wall solution could help. What do you think?

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Will this cause issues when you sell down the track? It might be better to make it right now, before it is built.

Joynz likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Lewis Johns -$1000!!!

1 line on floor plan and possibly on the elevation and section.

Liquid paper?

Have you got the CC?

Tom Rivera likes this.
  8. Lewis Johns

Lewis Johns Member

Hahahaha! It would be great if it could be that easy. We've got the construction certificate and are mid build. Now that the framework is up you can feel what a big mistake it was putting a wall there. I want to take it down now and forget that it was ever in the plans. The certifier doesn't think it is that easy though.

9. Lewis Johns

Lewis Johns Member

No apparently it won't cause any issue for future sale or use.

Once its up and certified / council approved we can take down the wall as an interior renovation without the need for council approval or notification. It just seems like such a waste to put it up, only to have to take it down and then fix the gyprock, flooring and repaint.

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

At the rate you're being charged, probably cheaper for you to explain to builder what you're trying to do and have them put up a sheet of plasterboard and then come back to remove it after its all passed certification.