what conditions would you put on lending someone money

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by justine77, 9th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Tell them to F Off, but in a nice way.

2. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

They are planning with the same mentality that got them into this situation in the first place. Don't do it, and don't feel guilty about it.

Sometimes in this world we need to look after ourselves first. In the long run, you'll be doing them a favour. Be confident in that.

3. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

If you really think someone needs money. You should just gift it to them and forget about it. Or don't give it all. Any other way won't work I don't think.

4. Charlotte30

Charlotte30 Well-Known Member

Don't do it. I did twice to the same family member to pay mortgage arrears as their home was about to go to mortgagee sale. The second time was for $8,000. "It was only for a few weeks". Took them about 6 years to pay me back and they received an inheritance in that time. I felt burned watching them upgrade their car and other items when they owed me money. The real point is, I solved their immediate problem but it was not important enough for them to pay me back. Taught me to say no, go to the bank.

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  5. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

I definitely wouldn't do it in that situation. If they were generally good with their money and just needed to make ends meet short term I would and have helped out.

I have been helped several times in my journey (and paid back every single cent) so feel great being able to help out myself

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Know how you feel - the real pinch point in my hard learnt experience was when the family member (who borrowed to buy the car they "had to have") sold the car but didn't bother to pay back the loan ...

wylie likes this.
  7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Justine, somewhere deep down, you need to reread your posts (and change the names) and then channel Nancy Reagan and

"JUST SAY NO"