What colour garage door?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Joynz, 6th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input so far everyone. Really appreciate it - especially as I'm stuck inside all sick and miserable and sneezing!

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Stay warm!

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your input. Here's an update on the garage door colour question:

I had a Dulux colour consultant come over and look at both the IP and my house. Cost $150 for an hour and received a $100 voucher for a dollar a litre off paint.

(If I had been installing a panel lift door, would also have got $250 off the cost of the door).

The colour consultant advised me to use Woodland Grey for the garage door, balustrade, lacework, window frames, fascia, gutters, and main entry door and screen. Vivid white for the eaves.

The Woodland Grey doesn't clash with the bricks or scream 'look at me'. This sort of 'earthy neutral' works best apparently, with colorful bricks (the bricks and roof are browner than they seem in the pictures I posted).

She also advised me to stay away from flowers or any colorful plants. To use wavy grasses or bushy plants - in greens. Also, to use black (or brown) bark chips next time I top up the mulch.

The consultant also looked at my house just down the road.

I have a cream/blond brick and a Pale Eucalypt roof (flattish so not that visible, though the guttering is). Currently the windows are painted classic cream.

The consultant recommended a charcoal ( Wayward Grey ) for the window frames, fascia and gutters. Also a red (Red Stop) for the door. These colours will contrast with the bricks and reference the 1960s era of the house. Vivid white for the eaves lining.

If I ever bag the bricks, she recommended a light grey (Flooded Gum).

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Honestly - unless you are very partial to 1960's red brick - I'd paint the whole house, bricks and all, get rid of the lace metalwork and lace curtains and drag the house kicking and screaming into the new century ... then you can go with whatever modern colour scheme you like.

If not - I'd also go woodland grey and paint all the metalwork in the same colour (but still get rid of the lace curtains)

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I saw a rental reno the other day and they skinned the old door (tilt a door ?) with a clean and new stained timber and lacquer and it looked very modern and seemed to match other timbers ie railings etc.

Personally I would go the Richie Beneau and find a offwhite, beige, cream or similiar for interiors.

6. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Coming in late here... but wont suggest any colour; I'd go either very light or very dark with bricks.
    I always hope my garage door (double) would have one of those glass/clear stuff to let the sun in. Any chance without replacing the whole thing?

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Thanks for that suggestion.

I have ordered a new roller door in Woodland Grey. Will paint the fascia, windows, house door and other trim such as lacework to match.

It's a roller door so no windows, however, the garage has a window in the back so already gets light.