Cars & Motorbikes What car, van or suv can I sleep in ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propertunity, 13th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Mrs Propertunity and I will soon be empty-nesters (woo hoo)! We're thinking about having the old long weekend and a few weeks annual leave (when not going overseas) doing some long country trips. I don’t want to tow a caravan or drive a self contained house on wheels. We’re happy to eat out and sleep at motels at night.

What I do want to be able to do is take a grandpa nap for 20 minutes, or an hour or two if it comes to that, when the mood strikes. I can’t sleep sitting up even if the seat is fully reclined. I want to be able to lay down on a mattress in the back of the vehicle. We only need a 2 seater as a minimum.

Must haves:
    I’m 188cm (6’2”) tall and the driver’s seat must be able to go back far enough so that I can fully stretch my legs out to reach the pedals.
    Turbo Diesel engine not petrol.
    AirCon.
    Rear space needs to fit a queen or king size mattress.
    Blue tooth for iPhone connection.
    It won’t be going “off-road” apart from the occasional good gravel road.
    Budget is up to $75K (although I don’t want to spend that much if I don’t need to.)

Your suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

ellejay likes this.
  2. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My cousin, (heaps taller than my 6foot2 dad) converted a courier van. Fantastic set up! He made it up to suit himself only with a king single bed and space to spare but I think he said it could easily be changed to a queen set up with a wooden base extension. He purchase new, travelled around Aus in it. Then Bris to Canberra and back. He’d mentioned he may sell it. I could ask if you want? Even had a TV setup, all the comforts!

Archaon likes this.
  4. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Not turbo diesel - but a Toyota Tarago might fit into your plans....
    Rear seats fold flat for bed space, lots of leg room and comfort - plus reliable and a lot less than $75k...
    Converted courier vans are another option. Mercedes Vito, Renault, Fiat, Transit....space to move but some reliability issues.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

There are quite a few VW Transporter and Ford Transits that have been converted for light travel and sleeping. The handy thing about the converted ones is that a small kitchen is very handy if you want to stop and have a cuppa at a park then snooze.

These are top end ones but I'm sure there are cheaper :
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...t6-lwb-auto-4motion-my16/SSE-AD-5929999/?Cr=0
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2017-hyundai-iload-auto-my17/OAG-AD-15729415/?Cr=0

I would hire a few different ones until you work out what is best for you then commit to buying. Many of the campervan hire places also sell ex hire stock so that might be an option

Any of these brands in this search will probably match your criteria https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/re...sales._.CarAll.keyword(campervan).)&offset=12

ellejay and Stoffo like this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

My folks purchased an ex NSW ambulance (VW) turbo diesel
    NSW Ambulance run Mercedes now though ?
    They often use it for get away's, if dad gets tired they stop and nap, if they do an overnight run somewhere it is what they drive (in case they get tired)

They got it for a good price, and as a fleet vehicle they are serviced at least (check for underbody damage).

Has the additional roof height, came with a light bull bar.
    They had two extra seats fitted to form a second row (out of what I don't recall) these swivel to face any direction (allows them to stop and have lunch/move about inside when its raining also. There's Limo room back there.) and the back of the seats folds flat, behind this they built a deck so with seats folded down the mattress gives them full length with miles of storage underneath.

They have used it for 9 years now, only update was a 12v fridge.

hammer likes this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Missed the $75k budget (up to)
    I'd probably avoid any 4x4 versions for your intended use (more to go wrong)

The Hyundai iLoad gives more of a car ride, but has limited length in the back
    The Toyota Hiace LWB could be good, if it didn't ride like a dodgem car :(

Mum's biggest complaint was curtains..........
    So she bought some adhesive Velcro to stick to the inside (because you can't damage anything for resale) and made her own easily removable black out curtains :rolleyes:

Archaon likes this.
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

*sigh* - and to think people did it in the back of a sandman..... how times have changed...

The Y-man

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

10. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Stoffo and lamecrocs like this.
  11. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

We've been going around in circles for a couple of years at least thinking about this! Can't be bothered towing a caravan or paying to be on a park after paying $$$ to buy said caravan :mad:, or sitting in a remote car park wild camping, just to avoid over priced caravan site fees. Latest decision is just to keep it simple and stick with motels.

Propertunity, sharon and balwoges like this.
  12. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

We thought about various vans but no bathroom means having to visit maybe not so nice public toilets at night.

13. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Could have one installed, alot of campers are built into vans.

Campervans | Jayco Australia

ellejay likes this.
  14. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Really can't go past a 200 series LandCruiser for that sort of thing..remove the rear seats and install a faux floor or set of draws. Can fit a double mattress in the back. Rooftop tent also an option.

Will hold it's value well and if you do decide to hit the sand or off-road you are covered.

15. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Anything that is long enough really, my folks had a custom mattress made for their CX-5 (long enough for my dad who is 6 foot), when they drive HB to Syd (14 hour drive) if they get tired they pull into a stop, drop the seats, roll out the mattress and have a snooze :).

The mattress is fitted around the wheel arches and everything.

16. Renorookie

Renorookie Member

Toyota troopcarrier with a poptop
    For 75k you’ll be able to find one that’s well fitted out for what you want

Lindsay_W likes this.
  17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The folks also have a caravan for longer trips (with toilet, shower, washing machine, air cond, ........)
    In some regional area's you can actually stay in the park area for free so long as you dine there (some of the one's that own the fuel station give you a voucher also) as they sometimes own the servo, dinner, park, pub

I agree, nice hotel, refreshed and finish getting to my vacation spot.
    For some the trip is all about the journey, not the destination

ellejay likes this.
  18. Lauren350

Lauren350 Active Member

Check out Free Camping Australia and Country Pub Camping on Facebook. Both are helpful when planning a trip ...lots of suggestions for good places to stay the night.

wylie, Stoffo and ellejay like this.
  19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe as your over 6''2 ,a toyota hi-ace pop-top with a fold down table that turns into a double bed in the back section ..Most are set-up with solar-gas fridge stove and hold their value very well,but you will pay between 20k --65 k depending on the model,and stay away from the late model ex-hire with above 450klms of the clock most of those from what iv'e seen while on the road are time-bombs..
    I bought one 11 years ago from the government auctions,with 130klm's on the clock fully set-up for off road camping ..The price was just below 14k and the front plate of the ac compressor had come a-drift and was making a shocking noise as it came into the auction bay ,none of the car dealers ,back yard e-bay gumtree dealer wanted the car as all though the motor was about to blow..
    Made my day when the daughter drove me to the auction yard the next day and paid the bill as the van had rego as all the car dealers were loading up the cars they bought looked over and had a laugh ..

I just cut the ac--units pulley belt straight of ,and drove it passed all the can't lie straight in bed car dealers with a smile on my face ,while they just gave me that look..imho..

Last edited: 14th Oct, 2019
    Angel, Archaon and Westminster like this.
  20. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Like this ?? :confused:

upload_2019-10-25_9-54-14.jpeg

The Y-man and Archaon like this.