What can we do about this?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Angel, 8th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My property has been vacant for almost a month now. Instead of having a lovely tropical garden, my northern windows and balcony have a view overlooking derelict sheds, overgrown yards and rusty car bodies. Would you believe the BC had all our garden along the fence cut back a couple of days after our previous tenant vacated. It was supposed to have been done at the end of winter.

Needless to say, plenty of prospective tenants love the property except for this view. BC person who got it done just said "sorry, it will grow back". Don't suppose I can hit them up for a few month's lost rent while waiting for the regrowth?

We just sent a complaint (about the yard) to council, hubby hopes it will be cleaned out, but I doubt it. PM suggested some kind of temporary screen attached to the balcony - I would do that but concerned the screen will look just as bad. (I haven't got any photos)

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Would help, were all taking stabs in the dark without them.

Maybe some vertical louvres?

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We cant get there until Friday

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Trimming the Poinciana last year and the usual view from the living room.

Attached Files:

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

put up some curtains so its not as noticable and confronting when prospective tenants inspect. distract them from the the view

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We've done that. You know, last month's stresses.

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Oh yes, love the pelmets with those blinds. You know I'd say either drop the rent or give short term rentals a try, but it entails more work and upfront costs though. Someone else can manage it on your behalf though.

Not sure what else you can do apart from getting the council in to tell those other people to get the yard tidied up.

Ps. I would be ropable if the BC did that to me. :mad:

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Wow, that "looked" nice, what a shame, new pics will be interesting to compare, guess it had to be done, but this time of year? seems like someones a bit screwy in the head.

BC "may" not like/permit this but you could get away with it short-term until the threats from them become real serious legally etc.
    Block the view through the railings with something cheap like shade cloth (double it so its even less see through).

Still be a able to see the crap when standing out on the balcony, through a window etc, but less impact when sitting in the lounge watching telly etc, including privacy for your tenants.

Some other ideas here - Balcony Privacy

Gockie likes this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, @WestOz. The ideas in the pics look great.

Being on the BC committee myself, I will just go ahead and do whatever I like to screen it if I have to. We have now dropped the rent to what the previous tenant would have paid if we increased his rent. We have accumulated four week's vacancy plus letting fees.

The Council officer called me yesterday - if the mess isn't cleared voluntarily in a week, a formal notice will be issued. Apparently a two storey building is about to commence construction. I suppose that will block our breeze and the residents will get covered in dust. Just kill me now

Do you think a nice trendy new building next door will improve things next year? The zoning is for medium density but no high-rises, no more than three storeys.

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Hi Angel, we have used the bamboo screens before, they are very cheap and will look good for about 12 months , we just used cable ties to hold them up, you can get them from a lot of cheap stores or hardware etc.

That should block out the eye sore.

Used similar to this outdoor spaces