What can I do before a restump?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Deamp94, 22nd Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Deamp94

Deamp94 New Member

Hey guys,

FHB here with an old Queenslander looking to start some basic work around the place, keeping in mind I'll be looking to restump/level my property within a years time. Here's the current state of everything I'm looking to fix soon: imgur.com

For the shutters I was thinking of pressure washing to clean, then restaining a couple coats and then sealant.

For the picket fence I'll pressure wash, following that maybe a light sand back then a couple coats of 2 in 1 primer/white paint. I don't want to spend too long on the fence since I'm sure within a few years I'll get rust stains again and not looking to fully rebuild it just yet.

The back steps seem like they're rotting, they'll get replaced when I restump likely so not sure if I should bother doing anything here. Maybe something so they don't fall apart before then?

For the back door and window sills, basically fully sand it down (bog the rot?), then primer and then paint and seal.

The whole exterior and interior need to be repainted but I'm not sure if I want to do that prior to restumping (definitely not interior) but not sure how much that would effect exterior?

I'm pretty new to home DIY so any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In order of importance/urgency:

1. Replace any rotten treads on the steps asap.

2. Do a test for lead paint before sanding.

3. Use a stain blocker on the rust stains from the nails in the fence - before repainting.

VanillaSlice likes this.
  3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

If the stair treads are just worn you can sometimes just turn them over.

get your roof and gutters checked and get a professional to complete any required maintenance.

VanillaSlice likes this.