What business ?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by hillsguy, 1st Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Best to keep on top of that. You have to delight your customers.

2. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

What`s about an e-commerce with a bit of Amazon? Create an online community around what you are passionate about and then start promoting products created by yourself. In Australia I can think about fishing & camping

3. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

$250k is not much to buy out a performing "brick&mortar" company however it is a lot to star an online business and I think that`s the future.

4. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Net return ?

5. stespar

stespar New Member

Lease 900pw
    COG's 2.7k
    Wages 3k

6. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

You may struggle starting a nuclear power plant, but just about anything.

Things I see every-day.

1. Buy a pantech truck, hire a couple of Brazilian back-packers. Post ads on airtasker / gumtree / facebook, find jobs, pimp out their time for monies. Buy more trucks, hire more brazilians, eventually hire someone to sit on airtasker / gumtree / facebook, and post ads for jobs for you.

2. Print leaflets for house cleaning. Letter box drop all of Paddington / Rhodes / Parramatta. Line up some work. Jump on Latinos in Sydney facebook page, hire a couple of cleaners at $25/hr. Charge clients $30/hr. 10 years later you have 200 Colombians, and 10 people doing letter box drops on your behalf.

3. Repeat process 2, but get creative and offer lawn mowing instead of cleaning.

4. Jump on google. Type in builders / gyprockers / painters. Make a list, call them and offer your services to find them work for a % of their work. Negotiate on a good price, find work. Nek minit, develop high-rise apartment buildings using your toilet roll length of quality contractors you have nurtured over a couple of decades.

5. Don't want to develop? Mix options 2, 3, and 4. Hit the blend button. Start a strata management company. Offer your services to real-estate agents across your suburb / state / country.

6. Like big machines? Purchase second hand excavator. Jump on Irish in Sydney facebook page. repeat process outlined in point 1.

7. If you like food, hire a handful of peeps to roll sushi rolls and bake some muffins. Jump on the train, offer to supply a plethora of cafe's along your train route.

8. Don't wana make anything, buy vending machines. Find strategic locations around your suburbs.

9. Fly to China. Find some doors. Order half a container. Try to flip them for profit. Can't sell it? Sell at cost price. Find next product.

10. Become a mortgage broker.

$$$ depends on imagination and grit.

If you're not fussed about the how, you can do anything.
    It has more to do with you, and what you put into it.
    Business is 24/7. Shortcuts = disaster.

keenas, BunnyXiao, David_SYD and 3 others like this.
  7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

hmmmmmm, I see a bit of fascination with latinos! :)

8. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Haha,

My business is in hospitality.
    Pretty high chance the removalist will be Brazilian, and cleaner Colombian.

I'm also a construction engineer.
    Most of my colleagues are Iranian / Indian.
    Almost all the subbies are Irish.

I'm surprised if I don't hear an Irish accent on the two-way radio.

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

given the recent publicity of irish tourist trouble makers, the irish restaurant scammers, and the irish handyman scammers, I wouldnt work with an irish!

balwoges likes this.
  10. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

I laughed.

Attached Files:

LeeM likes this.
  11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Brazillian removalists sounds like a bikini waxing business (good business potentially)

Sackie, TMNT, NHG and 1 other person like this.
  12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

@NHG You could earn a Brazilian dollars.

NHG likes this.
  13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

i saw a ute the other day ..with all the lawn mowing gear in the tray ..and the sign on the back tray ..short -back and sides lawn moving..Even the gentleman had the same hair-cut sitting in the ute short -back and sides..

Cousinit, Terry_w and NHG like this.
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

That definitely wasn't the case for one of the owners I knew in Adelaide ~15 years ago (working at Maccas over a few years, from kitchen staff to store manager for a brief time). He owned 2 stores and is still one of the hardest working people I have ever known. He was in the stores day in, day out, driving standards, mentoring (or sometimes berating) the managers and staff, sometimes even jumping in to help make burgers at times of high load if staffing was short, sometimes making it his personal mission to do a lot of the detail cleaning around the store with degreaser and a scrubbing brush.

I didn't ever see the overall financials, but my impression was that the business is not a cash cow, unless it was very tightly managed. If you find an exceptional store manager who stays over the very long term, then perhaps there are periods of time that the owner can step back a bit... but there is no way I would call what I saw passive.

NHG and Terry_w like this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Good business uses leverage. Maccas make many millions of big macs each day. Maccas know each one is $1 of profit. Rule 1...If you sell something make a profit. Rule 2 repeat over and over with freqency. Rule 3 make sure total profit doesnt exceed costs.
    Rule 4 dont do what pizza hut did. They started to sell on marginal cost. They knew they sold 2000 pizzas a week that made a profit. Covered costs. So they then sold some for 50 cents. Broke even to build market. Now everyone wants a 50cent pizza. Dominos joined them in a race to the bottom

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2019
  16. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Times have changed, I remember just to get on the list as a candidate you had to do 6 months of unpaid training in an office environment and at store level. I remember if you owned 1 maccas as part of your agreement you must be hands on for X amount of hours per week which was approximately 50 hours per week, when you own 2 maccas you then divide those hours up between 2 stores and head office does check if you are holding your side of the agreement.

Only once you get to own 3 x maccas or more that the agreement allows you to take a more passive role and have dedicated managers employed to run each store.

Part of the maccas success story is only using franchisees that have the passion and work ethic and can learn the skills that the franchisor demands. After all that wait at least 30 to 40 years to get a location in a desirable metro area if you are talking about Australia.

David_SYD and James_w like this.
  17. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

Look up Gypsy’s/travellers and maybe educate yourself before you tar a whole nation With the same brush , from the issues created by tiny but very troublesome and complex indigenous population , something we are familiar with

statistically the highest earning emigrant group in australia . ( the Gypsy’s prob higher unfortunately )

David_SYD likes this.
  18. James_w

James_w Well-Known Member

why did you not tell me this before I got my businesses houses are so much easier lol

19. James_w

James_w Well-Known Member

not to mention you need a mill in liquid assets or cash much better opportunities about.

alicudi likes this.
  20. fedex

fedex Well-Known Member

There are many ways to make a living working for yourself. You could invest your 250k into a business or start a side business whilst you continue working.

List of good ideas:
    10 Achievable Six-Figure Side Business Ideas - businesstrade.com.au

Good ideas are a dime a dozen but you just need to consider what will work for you as you might have some skills which can be leveraged.

Things to consider:
    - do you enjoy being outdoors
    - are you technically proficient at something which you could turn into a business
    - working hours and how your business will affect your current employment