What BAL rating to expect here?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by fayk, 2nd Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fayk

fayk Active Member

We are looking at a vacant block of land in Kellyville NSW with greenery at the back. We always wanted a house with a open yard overlooking open space/ green (not roof/room of another building). We found a block but very worried about the BAL rating of the lot. 1 lot 2: trees are located right at the border of the block

Lot 4 & 5: trees are located approx 20m away from the margin of the lots.

I found the bush fire assessment report “ for the subdivision lot on council website and it mentions that all lots meet BAL 29 setbacks. Although this report wad published in 2016 and the land will be subdivided this month.

My questions:

1. are we looking at FZ or BAL 40 or BAL 29 for the lot 2, 4 & 5 Looking at photo ? What does your experience say, as I know it cannot be said accurately (The photo is quite accurate and recently taken).

2. How will this impact insurance?

This is for our final ppor. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have you considered contacting a bushfire consultant? You will need to have a report prepared by a bushie as your builder will hit you for varies if it's not fully documented on the DA plans.

Be prepared for additional costs.

3. fayk

fayk Active Member

Hi Scott, we are still at the pre- decision stage. So no we haven’t contacted any bush fire consultant. Trying to make a gasp of the things first, to go ahead or not to go ahead with these blocks....

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I'd use the mapping tool at: Bush Fire Prone Land Maps
    But as @Scott No Mates said, you'll need a bush fire report for the block anyway, as part of the BA process.

....Ah, I'm guessing, based on risk, that insurance premiums will be higher.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Speak with one of the consultants, they will tell you how much extra each BAL will cost

fayk likes this.
  6. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I think Scott is right, although it is maybe too early for a full bushfire report, even at this pre-decision stage if bushfire is potentially a significant constraint I would suggest a preliminary bushfire report (possibly desktop only if enough mapping/LiDar etc is available). It may save you lots in the long run.

fayk and Dan Wood like this.