WA What areas - Perth

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MTR, 27th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

I saw the listing earlier, and gave up after squinting to look at the plans in the pictures.

Actual plans @Westminster put up are pretty good ;). Nice open living kitchen layout with own courtyard. Example of how to use a sloped block to advantage too.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I have plans for everything ;) Vast library of inspiration.

3. property world

property world Well-Known Member

Yeh but lets be honest 99.9% of buyers dont think or building orientation to north point, ventilation and light ect

Why cant clerestory windows be used on the bottom storey/ground plan?

Whats the difference between a 2 storey apartment and a 2 storey townhouse. Is the townhouse just isolated whereas the 2 storey apartment is attached ie having apartments on top or below?

Thanks for some ideas though. I like the large balcony ideas especially when you can almost turn that into your alfresco area with the kitchen/dining adjoining

4. property world

Ha i know i get on at Edgewater in the mornings and even then its a struggle to get a seat

Westminster likes this.
  5. Westminster

Clerestory windows need access to the roof/ceiling. If you have an apartment(s) above then they are your ceiling/roof and you can't do raked ceilings or clerestory windows.

A 2 storey apartment sometimes is just an apartment with 2 levels like I have done in the Mindarie JV due to the slope of the block. In other projects my 2 storey apartments are more like townhouses but comply with the multi dwellings (apartments) Rcodes. They have no one above or below but comply with the definition of a multi dwelling because there is some overlap with another dwelling that is next door. If you look closely at the design I have for my Ellesmere St, North Perth project you can see overlap between the side by side dwellings. This makes it a 2 storey apartment rather than a townhouse and I could get 5 on the block instead of just 3 townhouses.

property world likes this.
  6. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Seems pretty expensive for 630sqm R60. The block of flats next door are a bit horrible. At least it's got DA approved for someone who wants to do a quick 12 month project.

7. mrdobalina

That is great. What type of overlap do you need? Just adjoining walls? (Sorry, I haven't looked at the design for your Ellesmere St dev).

8. Westminster

Small part of the living area of one overlapping the ground floor of another. Nothing too huge. They were trying to change the definition to say it would need the majority of a dwelling overlapping the other but the ammendment didn't pass so it's same as before.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/muxfeyajs...ere Street_DA REV 03 FF _ 20-04-2015.pdf?dl=0

Look for the blue lines which show the ground floor boundaries.

9. property world

I cant believe that hasnt passed. Seems logical to me but i guess this not passing ia good for the witty and smart developers like yourself.

However doesnt the council have the power at the end over r codes anyway?

Or do you take advantage of them stating that "needs to comply with R codes of WA" and then when you do they dont have a leg to stand on?

10. Westminster

If a council put in their town planning scheme extra 'design elements' like requiring a set % or majority be overlapping then yes they could have the power. If they don't then the R Codes are the definition.

property world likes this.
  11. Eugene82

Eugene82 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone.
    I'm not familiar with areas of Perth. What is Perth equivalent of Sydney's lower north shore/Chatswood areas?

12. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

We had a site in Lockridge a couple years back since sold but rezoning was in the pipeline. We were also focusing on Ashfield at the time with a decent ip there. We sold out over in WA possibly fluked the timing but we were pretty happy with the (moderate) gains we achieved in a pretty short time (2011 and 2012). Wonder how those areas are going now.

13. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Hey Sanj, care to share the numbers you threw at this one?

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

15. Westminster

As you know I like to say (in various ways) that statistics are grouped information which may not pertain to individual scenarios. They are somewhat useful for macro due diligence to get a very quick idea of an area but always need to be backed up by micro due diligence before writing that suburb off or considering it a winner.

If you just look at the front page then the numbers are somewhat meaningless as that figure is just the house median.
    If I'm looking at development sites then they are generally classified as houses but I'm particularly interested in the unit price growth as well as that is the end value scenario.
    I think medians can be horrifically skewed in some suburbs where the breadth of product is large.
    For example - Bayswater reiwa.com - Suburb profile for Bayswater
    - reported 2.4% growth in house median. This could be due to development sites still being popular there but also because there are some $1m + houses in the area and selling one of those bumps up the median. Settlement of this property will skew it up again I think 89-91 Stone Street Bayswater WA 6053 - House for Sale #120210777 - realestate.com.au
    - Units reported -7.6% for the past year. Could be due to general correction or a combination of that plus more sales of the cheapies which are low $200s vs sales of the $500k+ units

Sackie likes this.
  16. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Would think a lot of people sitting on older units would be offloading them right now. Going to be very hard to find tenants when all the new apartments finish and now is just about the last chance to offload them on unsuspecting types.

Have noticed a few of the off the plan developments right now have actually dropped their prices on RE.com though so there is certainly a cooling on demand in that area coming through (not significant drops, ~10k on a couple only is all I've seen).

As for those stats, they'll be accurate as in they report what they say they report, outside of that as WM said, they don't offer much more than a very general outlook as median can only show so much, need to know if it's actually reflective of the area.

Westminster and Sackie like this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

thanks @Westminster and @wogitalia . I guess i was asking from a general rough overview only and I would really have to do individual DD on a specific area and also the purpose of valuing individuals deals would be important. Thanks again guys.

18. mrdobalina

19. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Agreed, that's why medians are used and not averages.

20. Westminster

**** statistics 101 fail! My bad! :oops: