What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Ariyahn2011, 16th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

G’day gang,

So I work Monday – Thursday which provides a reasonable balance to my life. However, as I was medically discharged from the Military I have a few health issues I’ve battled on and off over the years. I’ve found it quite exhausting working up to 30 hours a week for somebody else. Depending on DVA (Department of Veteran Affairs) is not an option as the burden of proof is always a inconvenience and I would prefer to be independent and not having to be reliant on DVA for my financial security.

I’ve always wanted to start my own business and I figured perhaps I can work on something to replace my current income so I can move away from traditional work down the track.

We currently have a Dog sitting business which makes a nice little side income (not a lot). Overheads are reasonably less. We have not done any advertisement and mostly get clients through word of mouth. We do not have a website either. The business has over 30+ 5 Star Reviews on the Facebook Page.

Should I try scale this? Webpage? Hire a freelancer to run effective adds to obtain new clients?

I am currently studying a Masters of Social Work, so I can look to get into private practice down the road. As I am doing it part time, I will not graduate for another 3 – 4 years.

I’ve considered teaching English online as an additional business. My personality is very calm, patient, and supportive. Has anybody done this? I have a degree which I believe may give me some credibility. I believe there are some additional certificates as well which will add further credibility. My understanding is there a number of companies that hire people in which you can earn up to $30ph from home. However, I was thinking in terms of cutting out the middle man, you may be able to earn something more along the lines of $50 per hour if you are good at what you do?

I am not sure what else I can offer to others. I am into my meditation and mental health and have found great techniques in terms of dealing with chronic pain, anxiety and depression. I was a bit unsure if I have the authority to do an e-book on this topic without a medical degree? Am I allowed to do something from personal experiences as long as I give a disclaimer that I am not qualified to provide medical advice? That is perhaps the only other skill I have in terms of lived experience and delivering value to others out there facing similar challenges.

Thanks in advance.

I am kind of brain storming here and would love some feedback from those who are more experienced than myself :)

Cheers

2. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

What is your long term goal? What is it that you're passionate about doing and motivates you?

You have lots of different ideas which is great, but if I were in your position I would try and get clear on that and focus all your efforts on getting there sooner.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

At least you have a plan ,and too make that plan work one may have to focus on one on your list and target the low--cost business entry level ,high --profit model focused on the 16-49 demographic thought bubble..

Look at all businesses like a chess game ,all are complex and deep and you may have the thinking ability that is way above what you necessarily express..

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  4. Ariyahn2011

What is your long term goal? What is it that you're passionate about doing and motivates you?

My long term goal is to be semi-retired (work part time) at 40 and 45 at the latest. I am currently 33.

I am passionate about helping others hence why I’ve moved towards Social Work and I work in the Social Services sector (30 hours per week).

I think long term being a consultant around mental health would be awesome. Perhaps the Masters in Social Work will add some legitimacy to my name as well?

For instance, going into multi-national companies and attempting to shift the culture of treating their workforce with care and love which in turn could improve productivity, culture, and innovation (since the best talent want to stay and work within that particular company). I would have to do my research and find sources and evidence that this is the case of course when I do presentations/workshops.

So perhaps I should start a niche blog on mental health and self-improvement and eventually use this as a way to shift to consulting one day down the track when I build a large reading base in X years?

The dog business is my wife’s and has always been a nice little side business that has supplemented our low household income (wife is doing her BA in Nursing so has often worked PT, or not at all). I reckon I could direct some attention to this to help her set up a webpage and get somebody on a freelancing website to run some adds on Facebook?

5. Ariyahn2011

Thanks Willair. The dog business is low costing. Good advice regarding the age demographics though.
    I didn't quite understand your last sentence regarding the the thinking ability above what you necessarily express. What do you mean here sorry?
    Thank you

Last edited: 16th Jan, 2020
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just the way i read your post Mate,not trying to upset anyone but their is a solid business plan within your post ..

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

For teaching English you would need an ESL (English as a Second Language) certificate, generally nominally 120 hours. You can do these online for a very small cost. A really reputable one though would take more money and effort.

It's something you might want to do just as a secondary income stream. It may be difficult to scale it.

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  8. Ariyahn2011

Thank you Will. Not upsetting anybody sorry I did not mean to come across as upset. I most definitely am not and I value your feedback :).