What are your opinions on the various "Seminars" that pertain to property?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Chabs, 8th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. THX

THX Well-Known Member

True, they are using attendees to increase their income and serviceability :D

No but I think that is different, that's more likely to be a dedicated meeting and mentoring between people and of course that's not free. These seminars are more akin to the pack them in, lock the doors, pitch them, a la religion (or cults haha) :)

Sackie likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yup I agree. A lot of the paid expert advice from successful people on here will be far better than many of the seminars. I come across so many people who are hesitant to spend money on their investment education. I know quite a few very successful investors and every single one of them has spent money over the years to learn new things, for consultants, mentors etc etc. I agree with you that many of the seminars are just a waste of time/money. But there is genuine and great fee based investment knowledge/education out there too. For the people who say there is no need to pay for anything you can get it for free, well that will only take you to a certain level IMHO.

3. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Exactly, I think there is a lot to be said for mentoring and finding like minded people freely exchanging information, advice, criticism etc.

4. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I only attended one... After an hour and half nothing special had happened.... There was only a handful of people in attendance and someone in the front row asked the speaker how many houses she had. The speaker responded 'that is a bit personal'... Funny.. .It wasn't a bit personal when she had asked each of us upon arrival to the session!! Needless to say I took that as my cue to leave! I do not think I am in the target audience.

Chabs and CU@THETOP like this.
  5. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

The good thing about some seminars is that often it is the first chance people get to talk to other people interested in property. People often don't like to talk to their workmates or friends and family about property. Keep an eye out at the seminar for people who ask tough or awkward questions, or sit with their arms folded across their chest and one eyebrow raised, and then in the break go up and have a chat with them. They might be someone who knows a bit and you can perhaps stay in touch with.

Scott

beachgurl likes this.
  6. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Likewise... Avoid the middle aged person in the front row who after the first hour asks "how will having an investment property affect my pension" ;) This is after the big spill about who wants to live on $20k a year! o_O <insert tassie joke here>

7. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

I think that's probably the best thing (meeting people with similar interests) but I expect they will all be around the same rung on the property ladder you are on. Once people get going in successland I expect there is no need for guru based seminars

8. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I went to a seminar in March (around the same time I started to become really active on somersoft).

The seminar was good for a quick education, covering all the main topics - property market economics, where to buy and why (although I disagree with that strategy focused on within 10km of CBDs), how to add value, and accounting/tax.

I kept my wallet closed though (and convinced a friend to do the same), except for buying some books at "a discount" - which I later found out were available much cheaper online.

Chabs likes this.
  9. The Social Investor

The Social Investor Active Member

If we ever stop trying to learn more we stand still.
    Seminars always provide enough to stimulate your interest and after investing and attending seminars for a long time, I can usually understand what is behind the $5000 curtain. Just keep learning and if you do plan to spend some money on education, spend very wisely. I invested $1500 a year ago to buy a research program that identified exactly what the relationship was between sales and listings. From this I could determine the nature of a particular suburb and the tool was worth the money.
    $1500 x my tax rate = around $800 nett