What are your opinions on the various "Seminars" that pertain to property?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Chabs, 8th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

2. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

I've been to a few of these freebie seminars, there's always something to learn. The important part is "leaving your wallet" at home. At the end of the day, they want to sell you something.

Chabs, Esh, miked and 4 others like this.
  3. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

been to a few freebies and picked up a bit of useful info on most occasions, as trinity suggested, there is usually something to sell.

after a few i started to notice a similar 'show' with some presenters - create uncertainty about a certain strategy or the property investing climate and then present the 'solution' you can learn about if you 'apply' and get 'chosen', all at the measly sum of a few thousand $k

still, i learnt a few things early on and it probably got me interested enough to read up some more

4. RonB

RonB Member

I went to the Dymphna one, lots of great info, there was one thing I really wanted to know more about and can't find the answer anywhere.

5. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

Do many of you on here remember Henry Kaye? I went to one of his courses way back when I knew nothing about anything :)
    It did at least solidify my belief that property was a way to achieve financial freedom and got me to actually start to take action back in 2003....so if nothing else, that was worth it I guess.

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

As long as you don't succumb to purchasing off the plan properties and/or paying a ridiculous fee for a mentoring service - you might get something out of the odd seminar. I personally don't bother with them (not that I profess to be some sort of know it all guru - just never my thing).

Cheers

Jamie

733 likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What's a free seminar?

I attend those held by Dept od Fair Trading (they hold several even for self managing, strata, retail leases etc) - they're free & no sales pitch.

I attend paid conferences with the MBA & API.

Trade shows....

8. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

You'l usually pick up a thing or two. Just leave the wallet at home. :)

charttv and Sackie like this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree with the others, most of the seminars are ok to go to just leave the wallet at home. I do think there are a handful of courses on specific areas of investment that are worth paying for though.

10. peastman

peastman Well-Known Member

The message always seems to be the same.
    "Do something"
    Which is fair enough, because if you don't do something, nothing will happen.

Shayne P and tobe like this.
  11. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Waste of time really.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  12. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Has there ever been a seminar where at the conclusion, they don't try sell you some sort of product, service, membership to mentoring, exclusive club or upgrade?
    Not in my limited experience.
    Does this not suggest that seminars are merely sales avenues for the promoters to sell their products and services?
    Of course they share some information with you, but that's the bait, and the information can usually be found out elsewhere if you look.

MRO likes this.
  13. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

When I go to these things I usually try to learn about the non-property side of things, such as how they try to persuade people, the way they present things, the way they negotiate and how they choose their words. They're expert sellers (and some of them con artists) so there's plenty of non-property related things to learn from them. They're in business because they make money so there's always something to pick up.

14. Chris White

Chris White Well-Known Member

I heard a recent true story of someone who purchased a house in Dysart through these guys (off the back of their seminar) for Circa $700k+.

The rent was $1900.00 pw.

The property is now worth Circa $300k and is lucky to get $350.00 per week.

As previous posts said, leave your wallet at home.

Chabs and CU@THETOP like this.
  15. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I've paid for and still pay for seminars and mentoring.. I don't go to the ones that offer you property though. It's been worth it for me and I've made that money back many times over in the past 7 years since I signed up to my first paid seminar. Most of the successful people on here haven't needed that kickstart to get ahead but it works for me. I like to try and extend myself as my investment journey continues but I'm quite risk averse. Having more education behind me helps me push through those barriers.

Shayne P likes this.
  16. CosmicTrevor

CosmicTrevor Well-Known Member

Firstly I would say that for anyone wanting to grow their wealth via property investment then two fundamental aspects to that are knowledge (ie knowing about something) and process (ie, now that I know about something, how do I go about it?). Further to this, I'll assume that the desire and willingness to act are a given.

Thus, if a seminar provides knowledge that you are lacking or information on how to go about something it should be a good investment in its own right. If only it were that simple!

I remember years ago I was offered a "system" for investing in shares. It was a cold call that got me at a vulnerable moment so I agreed to meeting the organisation. The person I met was easy going and professional and no alarm bells were going off for me. The bottom line was that if I was prepared to part with $5,000 I could get their software and system. At the time I was more trusting and less inclined to do my own due diligence (ie lazy) and I almost signed up. Thankfully I didn't and it was simply because I happened to pick up a Charting investment magazine that cost all of $8 later that day. The articles in this magazine covered analysis of equities but just as importantly it covered analysis of investor behaviour (psychology). After reading it from cover to cover on the train I realised that I didn't need to spend $5,000 on a system.

So what is my point?

There must be a discernable value, something that is free therefore has questionable value in my view. Free information has "real value" when the provider gains nothing from your decision to use what you have learned, such as that offered by charities and government. As soon as there is some kind of expenditure that follows such free information one can only take a sceptical view.

If a seminar/information source is worth investing in it should clearly articulate;
    1) what information you gain access to that isn't readily available in the public domain
    2) what processes you will receive detailed information on that is both reputable (ie has integrity via sources that are referencable) and practical (ie the presenter can package the information in a manner that can be absorbed and executed by the layman).
    3) the cost so that you can make a judgement as to whether it is worth the investment
    4) whether there are any products or services that you will be offered over and above the knowledge and processes.

So, how does my pricefinder subscription stack up?
    1) settlement values, dates and buyer information for the last 20 years across Australia - while it might be available in the public domain in bits and pieces, I'm not aware of a public source that packages the information in the way pricefinder does.
    2) none, but that isn't what I buy the service for
    3) the cost is clearly stated
    4) the cost of extra features are clearly stated

So as others have said, go along if you can spare the time. Eat the free food, nod a lot, smile in a non-creepy way and then when you are ready to leave go and don't let anyone stop you.

Shayne P likes this.
  17. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I think seminars are great for giving you a kickstart whether your just beginning or perhaps need some motivation after floundering for a while.

Funnily enough it was a BA seminar that got me into property, before that I didn't even know what negative gearing was and now I'm close to finishing a subdivision with a very big profit.

The information that night was actually not even very solid advice (a lot of x coll being discussed as awesome and buying house and land) but it lit a fire! Since then I have been too quite a few, some great and some not so great (Robert Kyiosaki worst days seminar EVER). In each of them though I learn something new even small and then tend to flesh out more information with the good folks on PC.

So as others have said, leave your wallet at home but I would encourage you to leave your home and give them a go.

Chabs and Sackie like this.
  18. THX

THX Well-Known Member

If those holding the seminars had all the knowledge, experience and tools to invest and become filthy rich from it; they would do that instead of holding seminars. And those who are getting rich are more likely to give the information away for free.

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

[QUOTE"THX, post: 61312, member: 2320"]If those holding the seminars had all the knowledge, experience and tools to invest and become filthy rich from it; they would do that instead of holding seminars.
    A lot of them do it for the increased income and servicibility to further invest. No matter how much you know, how smart you are and all the experience you have - at the very core of the driving engine to build a portfolio is income and servicibility.

And those who are getting rich are more likely to give the information away for free
    I actually am not so sure about this to be honest. I think there is a lot of information being given way here for free and also great tips and help etc I have no doubt, but when it comes down to really leveraging the time, expertise and knowledge from the 'rich' successful people on here (not talking about every Tom. Dick and Harry posting)...is that really being dispensed for free? ;) (not that I think it should be either).

.[/QUOTE

Last edited: 10th Sep, 2015
  20. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I went to a Dymphna one and there was a lot of very bad, misleading and wrong info and she was very selective in who she would take questions from.