What are the Granny flat regulations in Toowoomba and lockyer valley

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Jason Micallef, 21st Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jason Micallef

Jason Micallef Member

Im looking in these two councils to purchase a property with potential for grannyflat to be built for second rental income.
    I heard from an agent in lockyer valley that a granny needs to be partially attatched to the existing dwelling?
    Is the minimum block size 700m2?
    Also is it even possible to build one for financial gain in these areas, as most stuff im reading suggests that granny glass are only to be for people of some household.

Has anyone built one in these areas? If so I'd love to hear your story

2. Branden

Branden Well-Known Member Business Member

Not sure if you are still looking into this approach nor I am aware of the rules and regulations for these areas. Although, you can always find out regulations by going onto the council's website or speaking with someone from the council over the phone. One thing to also note (if you haven't started construction yet) is the build price of GF's has increased significantly over the past 6 months. This can likely be attributed to the short supply of materials. Just something you might want to think about...

3. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

You will need to contact the Toowoomba council and find out that info specific for the property you are looming at. They are generally pretty helpful.
    If it is only zoned for a granny flat, and not dual occupancy, then you will likely encounter the issues you have mentioned. It will all come down to the zoning.