Franchising What are some of the worst Franchises ??

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 7th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

In the same vein as @twobobsworth - both Maccas & Hungry Jacks are noticeable by their absence.

There were 2 Maccas in Lane Cove, 1 in North Sydney & HJ Chatswood - all gone.

2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

That's another major issue new players have with these type of businesses. They can only operate successfully when well sited. If your lease is not tight, you'll lose everything.

Happened to a local Donut King near me recently, and also a friend who had a newsagents where the center was getting redeveloped and could not renew lease or find a suitable alternative location within his licensed territory.

That's the problem with this type service of biz, you need a prime high traffic site which is not always available.

3. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Shavershop?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd rather pull my hair out.

sanj likes this.
  5. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Franchises are no different to property. You've got to buy the right one at the right time if you want to make money. My friend's dad made over $100m from McDonalds franchises. I've seen multiple people who've made millions on Dominos, Subway, Red Rooster, Australia Post, Newspower and other franchises. I've also seen plenty of people working 80 hour weeks to break even from those who just bought the wrong franchise.

charttv, Luke T and Johnny Cashflow like this.
  6. Ace in the Hole

Would not quite agree with that comparison.
    A good property bought at the wrong time will still do exceptionally well in the long run.
    A good franchise at time of purchase can easily turn bad over time.
    Depends highly on the people too.
    Some people would not know how to make millions given the opportunity, even if it was staring them right in the face.
    There's always a way they will sabotage their success to remain in their comfort zone level.
    An anyone who's made multi-millions in franchises would likely have been successful in non-franchised business models too.

Luke T and sunnyskies like this.
  7. sunnyskies

sunnyskies Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 6.35.37 PM.png zarrafas coffee

How they have got away with serving over extracted single shot in a medium "double shot" cup for $4.8 is beyond me.

if you order an extra shot it pushes it over 5 and then they double over extract so the milk is watered down and the coffee is bitter and sipid

I know I usually drink black anyway, but their bean is so ordinary need to have a cup that tastes like bigm so can swallow it

Perthguy likes this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

^^^ where does it say about over extraction etc etc?

if this were true, it actually goes to show that 99% of the population cant tell the difference between a decent coffee and a bad one, yet everyone seems to have an opinion on it

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

10. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

Why would 7-11 head office need to guarantee profits

11. Diarmuid Hannigan

Diarmuid Hannigan New Member

Cheesecake Shop franshise just sold to Pag Asia for 76 million $$$ US.

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

That's a nice return to the founder or whoever started it. Their cakes were always another notch above anyone else. But that compete edge now seems to be much eroded

Maybe they got out at the right time?

13. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Only one person makes money from a franchise.

And it is not the franchisee.

Luke T, Johnny Cashflow and jim1964 like this.
  14. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

One of the owners of Leonard's is dead the other is doing time for murdering him

jim1964 likes this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

jim1964 likes this.
  16. John Ferguson

John Ferguson Well-Known Member

I assume if you are wanting to buy a franchise it is for lifestyle purposes. Unless you bought a McDonald's franchise over a a couple of decades ago, I couldn't imagine any franchisees selling their franchise territory for much more than they paid for it. So really you are buying a job with a system and some flexibility. But saying that if it's a franchise with staff then you would have all the issues that go with employing staff and so on. If I was to buy a franchise, unless there was opportunity to become a franchisor (salesman) and make some passive income, is only buy a one man gig franchise for lifestyle purposes. To get rich you need to start a business from scratch and build it up. Otherwise easier to be an employee and invest in other asset classes.

Please correct me if I'm working especially anyone with franchising experience as I'm always interest in franchise opportunities, but I have yet to find one which i believe I could sell for a lot more in 5-10 years.

17. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Lol u could offer a buffet style membership- all
    U can do type thing, knowing that the men will only need five or ten mins worth lol

18. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

i assume that if you purhcased a well performing mcdonalds at a fair market price , and if in 10 years it was doing the same,
    this would be a great cashflow business, even if you sold it for the same price, and you wouldnt have to step one foot in there

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Heinz57 likes this.
  20. Ace in the Hole

Why do people buy franchises, seriously?

The only thing that comes to mind is those inexperienced in business who want some form of hand holding support and fall for the promise of high returns and the “freedom” of being your own boss.

Cheap food type products which can easily be overshadowed by the new flavor of the month by the new kid on the block are just the worst of the worst to get financially committed to.

Luke T likes this.