Franchising What are some of the worst Franchises ??

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 7th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Profit can also be difficult to calculate properly. A competent franchisee could probably do more to fiddle profit as seen be HO than turnover.

2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Your second assertion sounds like a less worse outcome, not withstanding @geoffw 's observation regarding a franchisee fiddling profits.

Or, say, given the fiddles are the same old stuff all the time... cash refunds for items subsequently written off at stocktake, personal credit card purchase "reimbursements", petty cash reconciliations containing fictional tax invoices, non-business purchases entered as "inventory", related party "consultancy" fees, and "rent" of related party premises, etc.

A franchisor would not do well to not develop some KPIs for their "partners" to curb any imagination problems that might creep into the franchisees' business processes.

3. geoffw

Franchisors do have processes. They know how much each franchisee is ordering - even if they aren't supplying, they deal with the suppliers. Large discrepancies between supplies and sales will be noticed. There are KPIs which can tell.you about the business. I had somebody ask me about the figures for a franchise business he wanted to buy. Labour figures were far too low for the turnover, it was glaringly obvious that they were being fiddled.

Turnover figures are far easier to calculate and check than profit. A franchisor doesn't necessarily care about franchisee profit - there's usually somebody else who's willing to buy the business.

4. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Report – Parliament of Australia

Anyone read the report? I've semi-read it so far, but can see that it raises many issues which have already been discussed in this thread.

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Exactly. If the franchisee over orders stock that spoils, or has too many staff on, or as you said, takes any of the profits home in the form of stock , then the profit to the franchisor could be eliminated.

So both theories suck for one party, but what would a good solution be?

Ted Varrick likes this.
  6. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Sounds like a 50-50 split might be the order of the day.

Although if the franchisee is over-ordering stock there should already be KPIs in place that flag orders vs turnover (although a little more difficult in the ragtrade and toys where indent orders are much more prevalent..), and wastage rates as a % of stock holding, and cashup "shortages", which would attract much more franchisor attention and store-level <cough> assistance...

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

8. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

This one gets the most and worst coverage

Makes me wonder if other franchises are just as bad or they are just a bad egg

geoffw likes this.
  10. geoffw

Haha.

The franchise group I was involved with were always extremely strict about use by dates, temperatures and the like. Standards were higher than the local health department. And they sent their people once a month to ensure that everything was done correctly. Two months in a row with a single item incorrect, and you got a letter from the franchisor threatening removal on a third occurrence.

TMNT likes this.
  11. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

as it should be I feel

ta
    rolf

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I'm trying to recall if I have ever seen a good client franchise. I have heard loads of bad stories. One common factor:

They bought a job in a very low margin / higher turnover business that requires 60+ hours a week to have the doors open in rented premises. And its largely unskilled work involving buying stuff to resell. It was evident in every case that projected numbers were not sound and based on turnover incl GST and ignored staffing for the 60hours (or 120hrs for 2 people etc). Business overheads are poorly detailed in most cases too. eg power, rent, advertising etc.

I looked at investing in an apparently well run large cafe. With a view to franchise it. Assured of profitable trading I delved deeper and in just several hours it stunk like a sewer. All the wrong answers (lies) to the right questions, I walked away. The sales pitch was abundant profit which I would love to have proved. Reality was the opposite. I could see the unpaid supplier accounts getting larger. Then some suppliers changed..They didnt want to show me the ATO account for the BAS. I insisted. It showed a rising debt. It showed massive cash payments for wages - a risk for the employer (they admitted they paid cash to avoid paying full rates). Profitable businesses pay their debts and dont do this.

One glaring concern is that we often encounter people who have signed up without second opinions. "Hey its a well known pizza franchise - You will make millions like Fred here who has three stores". And Fred has a very different deal. And he keeps his deal by acting as bait. Maybe even a related party. And then you are told you must sell pizzas for $5 each. On a weekend.

Dont sign a thing without paying for good advice. It will pay for itself multiple times over.

Ted Varrick, ellejay, Harry30 and 2 others like this.
  14. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

I have some insight into this one... the franchisor didn't keep proper books and thus got in trouble with the ATO, and the ATO issued garnishee notices to all the franchisees. This placed those franchisees in violation of their lease agreements, their mortgage/business loan agreements, etc - and was due to no fault on the part of the franchisees. A lot of very unhappy franchisees. Oliver Brown set to emerge from voluntary administration - SmartCompany

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

At that point the agreements etc are all worthless anyway and the DOCA reflects this. The administrator etc and the DOCA with creditors treats all parties including the franchisees as creditors. The ATO are just using their muscle to ensure franchisees dont benefit to the ATO detriment in the meantime. In reality they wont. Nobody wins.

16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

17. geoffw

Ben Chifley likes this.
  18. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

I read that the class action against Dominos across Australia is alleging that (like 7/11) you can't make a profit in that business WITHOUT underpaying and exploiting staff.

I must say I've been a bit suspicious of Dominoes for some time, there's a large one at my local shopping centre and all the workers including management appear to be from one particular ethnic group, no Australians or other sorts of migrants whatsoever. You do wonder whether they only employ their own because they know its less likely their workers will complain about being underpaid?

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

one thing i assume, is that the dominoes I go to, none of he owners seem to be working there ever, if they were struggling, the owner usually is there

(am assuming all the 20s kids working there arent the owners)

20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member