What are common sell agent commission rate and marketing cost

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by PropertyInsight, 20th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

I am going to sell my IP in Brisbane. May I ask what are common sell agent commission rate and marketing cost? or what were your agent fees if you sold a property in Brisbane.

Thanks

2. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

Not really sure and I had a mate, an estate agent owner pop over yesterday. It will usually be between 1-2% depending on desperation of them and the price range of the property.

But good luck with the sale. Maybe somebody else can give you a better answer.

PropertyInsight likes this.
  3. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

There is always purple bricks for around 7k.

Although I have no idea or reviews of their performance. No feedback as such.

Has anybody used Purplebricks, looked into it or even considered it ?

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I spoke to some agents just before Christmas. The one I liked the best has a staggered rate but does not charge anything for marketing. Others charge several thousand just for marketing on top of their commission.

5. Bradley Peet

Bradley Peet Well-Known Member

1.5% to 3% plus GST is the norm depending on the value of the property.

Marketing costs also vary from $0 to $5000+. Call some agents and get a handful of proposals.

6. PropertyInsight

I spoke to some agents. Range from 2% - 3%. Surprisely, In their marketing fee, premium RE.com.au advertisement fee is more than $2000 whereas some agents in Melbourne give free marketing and others charge just $1000 for marketing fee.

7. SoroSoro

SoroSoro Well-Known Member

RE.com.au is a great example of selling shovels to gold rush miners. $2k to put up a webpage that would take an hour or two to build and almost nothing to host. Their margins must be ridiculous.

KayTea likes this.
  8. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Yep, and just told they're about to put their fees up again. The annoying part, too, is that the fee charged by RE.com.au is based on the suburb that the property is in (so when comparing apples with apples, the same style of ad has different prices, dependent upon the suburb) - can't understand why this is reasonable, when the same time, effort etc is required to create the ad.

9. SoroSoro

SoroSoro Well-Known Member

I guess the logic is that someone selling a $2M house will pay more than someone selling a $300k house. I guess they can set their prices however they like until someone gives them enough competition. I actually prefer Domain.

10. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Purple Bricks I believe are now $4,400 up front and $4,400 once settled. From my experience buying in Brisbane they are not easy to buy from. You cannot contact the agent directly you have to call the call centre and they want all your details and they have the selling agent contact you. To arrange an inspection you need to book online after you have set up an account giving a LOT of details - a lengthy and time consuming process!

Depending on your price point around 2 - 2.5% commission plus GST is the norm in Brisbane unless your property is pretty expensive.

Realestate.com.au is the go to listing portal in QLD so you really need to factor that into your marketing campaign.

Which suburb is the property located in?

Last edited: 1st Apr, 2019
  11. PropertyInsight

I got 2.5% inc GST. $3500 marketing cost. Sound ok.

QldKoolies likes this.
  12. Mucksy

Mucksy Active Member

I'm currently selling in Bris and am paying 2.6% and approx $2500 marketing costs.

13. MiQu

MiQu Member

2.95-3.3% on our contract ... they are hoping for a “tip” for a good outcome?