What are all the people who quickly accumulated properties using equity doing now?

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Kramerica12, 1st May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

That is exactly what @Peter_Tersteeg said - there IS a limit to servicing, and growth in equity will NOT cover servicing.

The Y-man

2. Ben20

Ben20 Well-Known Member

Thanks Y-man. Is that why lots around here suggest to have balanced portfolio of CG and CF properties?

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I would say that is certainly one of the reasons and one of the strategies.

The Y-man

BunnyXiao and Ben20 like this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Equity won't help servicing

wylie likes this.
  5. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

How can ppl pay for the land tax, as I found it tough to pay my large land tax bills these years?

BunnyXiao likes this.
  6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Maybe negotiate in your next lease of your properties to get the landlord to pay the land tax .
    Do you lease many properties ?

the landlord make me pay land tax?
    Land tax is a type of 'outgoing' expense that a landlord may pass on to their tenant who has a lease covered by the Retail Leases Act 1994 (the Act). Outgoings are payments in addition to rent.

A retail tenant and their landlord should negotiate the tenant’s willingness to pay any part of the land tax, and any other liabilities, before the lease is signed.

The agreed land tax payment and how it is calculated should be detailed in the lease and the lessor’s disclosure statement.

Retail leases are different from other business leases because the Act limits the landlord’s ability to recover land tax from their tenant.

It’s important that you get legal advice if your lease says you are liable for some part of outgoing expenses or statutory charges.

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'm assuming @Yson has residential leases which don't allow you to pass land tax directly on to the tenant?

8. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

But is it really possible, because If we pass the land tax to tenant then out weekly rent would be lower as tenant is only paying $400 - land tax portion to me if I ask them to pay land tax as other properties are letting $400 in the markets without asking tenant to pay, or am I missing something

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

@Beano suggestion of passing the land tax onto the tenant doesn't work for residential.

In order to reduce land tax, buy some in each State, as it is State based. Also, the land tax will be more for city properties, as the land value is less.

BunnyXiao likes this.
  10. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

Actually all of our CG properties have had very strong rental price growth over time which means they all became positively geared after about 7 years and they now pay for themselves. Buying well has benefits for both CG and yield if you are patient and you want to build a portfolio slowly rather than quickly.

Hosko and BunnyXiao like this.
  11. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

And the one of the other things that has helped over the last 7 years? Falling interest rates.

BunnyXiao and MelindaJennison like this.
  12. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

Actually we have owned most of our properties much longer than just the last 7 years.... The very first purchase that my hubby made was when interest rates were circa 17% ... imagine that today!!!

13. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Yep, if you could do it at 17% todays rates would seem like a breeze.

MelindaJennison likes this.
  14. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

My first property loan was at about 17% interest but the amount was only 25k which seemed like the weight of the world upon me at the time! I think I paid 90k all up. Not all that long ago really.

BunnyXiao likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia