Health & Family What age did you move out and why?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willister, 12th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My parents were horrible, especially to my (then) boyfriend. They charged me an outrageous board (about the same as the loan repayments on our first home) so at 19 I used my travel savings to buy a house.

We bought a small house three doors down the street from the MIL. She was really nice to me. With a 10% deposit, the loan repayments (15 years) were the same as rent. It was paid out in eight years and here we are in the big 3 bedroom house another 30 years later.

There was a property boom in Brisbane in 1980 and coupled with FOMO, we spent everything we had on the little house. We married the following year when I was 20.

Ted Varrick, inertia and EN710 like this.
  2. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Rented of course. I was 18, casual jobs - was OK to keep your head above water but thats about it. I rented for about 2 years before taking the plunge to buy.

Opps I meant squares! Typo...2 Storey, 41 Squares.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That's another storey.

Our neighbours built a big new house as a wedding gift to a child and spouse. The young ones moved overseas and never lived there - it was left empty for 15 years, never rented out. It was eventually sold - I guess the parents finally realised they weren't coming back.

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I wish there were more "like" buttons to push - I love this :)

Touristy likes this.
  5. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I completely agree.

When I first moved out of home in 1996 I earned 22K a year, I shared a 1 br apartment in a really bad area with a mate and we walled off the dining room with wardrobes to make it a bedroom for me. We had two empty McDonalds french fry boxes with a small piece of wood on top and a table cloth over it to be our coffee table, we had a Keg for a TV Stand and two bean bags to sit on. I ate mostly 2 minute noodles and devon sandwiches, we had 4 schooners of beer together every Saturday night at the pub across the road.

I'm not saying Woe is me because I love my life and all the experiences that got me here, I am just painting a picture of how hard it was 20 years ago.

I question how much harder it really is now and how much is media hype because everyone I know who says it's too hard has their 2 holidays overseas every year and their brand new car every 5 years.

I am in no way begrudging them these things and saying they shouldn't have them but don't make a choice to have those things then complain that it's too hard to have the big ticket items that generally demand discipline and delayed gratification like a house.

It's not easy and I am not saying it is, I am just saying it never was.

wylie, Blacky, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  6. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Cripes...from your DP you look like you're still 18, according to the math you're 6 years older than me. It's quite funny when I reflect now the best moments I had were those spontaneous moments I had with my 3 other roommates. Granted, I rented a relatively large place (3 bedder with a study).

What I learnt most during those initial years was improvisation or generally just asking what people didn't mind giving to me - this was days before gumtree or ebay, just word of mouth. I remember cruising in my room mate's car to scavange hard rubbish collection, some things just needed a coat of paint like a coffee table. We were also very lucky both our neighbours were great - one was a keen gardener often giving us potatoes and herbs and the other side loved hosting bbqs I think almost one every month or so, we weren't invited but always given the left overs.

It was pretty much the same old experience for anyone who moved out prior to say 22 or whenever they landed a decent paying job.

These days I see these factors which really takes the lustre out of moving out:

- More lax parents, I know a few early to mid 20s cousins living at home where partners are allowed, so there goes the "freedom" aspect if you don't mind your folks under the same roof.

- FOMO (Fear of missing out) there are just too many trips to go on and cheap flights.

From reading this thread it seems the average age of marriage for most here is 19/20? LOL

Last edited: 13th Nov, 2018
    Blacky likes this.
  7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

My life changed when I was in year 12. Rotary held a lunchtime showing about youth exchange.

I was the only one there...I couldn't believe it! Here I was talking to an organisation that wanted to sponsor us to go live in another country for a whole year....and no one else was interested! Blew. My. Mind!

It was that moment that all my teenage insecurities left me. It was like a wave.. I realised that I was obviously different to the other kids and thank goodness for that!

I spent my first year out of home living in Europe ! It was amazing!

Ted Varrick, freyja, hobo and 9 others like this.
  8. GetRIDof5CENTpiece

GetRIDof5CENTpiece Well-Known Member

Moved out at 25 - into my first PPOR. Funny how things do full 360 as I just moved back in that place 10 years later. Was rented out for 8 years inbetween.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  9. geoffw

I did a year in the US, many years ago now, with Rotary. It was an incredible influence.

I've met quite a few forum members over the years who have done student exchange.

10. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

That's our plan - downsize and sell the house when the time comes :) The kids are welcome to put in an offer!

I moved out after uni (22yo), went to Sydney for a graduate position, but my girlfriend at the time (now wife) still had 2 years of her law degree left. Moved back to my parent's place after about 9 months (I thought the job was pretty boring, and was always back in newcastle anyway), then back to sydney after about another 9 months (job was *actually* boring, was looking for more opportunities). GF followed when she finished uni, and we moved out of my shared accommodation into our own rental.

Cheers,
    Inertia

Touristy likes this.
  11. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Hehehe Yeah father time has been good to this old face I must admit, no kids and low stress lifestyle probably helps ;).

I'm 43 years old. I hear ya re: No eBay and stuff, the internet was barely a thing, bulletin boards never had anything like classifieds so it was the good ol' trading post when you wanted to buy second hand stuff :).

12. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

18 into shared student slums.

13. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Does any one remember the ‘quokka’.
    It was a wa classified free to advertise anything. Including a ‘free section’.
    Everything in my first house came from there.

Talk about a duck and water!

Blacky

Propin and Dan Donoghue like this.
  14. geoffw

A quokka quacker?

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  15. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Boomeranged a few times.

At 20 to Cootamundra, NSW, 8 months, work.
    At 23 to Wagga Wagga, NSW, 2.5 yrs, work with youth, and picked up a job whilst there.

Then kept going, Buladelah, Forster, Tea Gardens.

I tend to move suburb or house quite often. I also get itchy feet @Jess Peletier. Longest stint in 1 other than parentals house has been 18 months. Usually 6 months. Some were less than a month.

Back in Sydney in 2013.
    Cherrybrook, Bondi Junction, Parramatta, Rozelle, St Marys, Dulwhich Hill, Surry Hills.

I put it down to genetics. Parents always travelling. Sis moved out at 18, from Brisbane, to Tamworth, to Broken Hill with her fam. Visiting a new town every weekend. Yet our family is super tight.

Last edited: 16th Nov, 2018
    Jess Peletier likes this.
  16. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Oh yes. And even more perplexing are the young adults still living at home and paying rent!? Why bother!?

17. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Because their Mumma's are still doing the washing and cooking - why move out when you have live in help as part of the rent? Doesn't help that lots of parents are defined by their kids and they lose a little of themselves when the kids move out.

Joynz and Ian87 like this.
  18. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Every young bloke worth his salt should learn how to cook and clean. Cooking is a heap of fun (as good as Mum’s/Grandma’s food is), and provided that you’re not a total slob, cleaning for one isn’t much.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  19. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I was 24. Finished uni at 22 (in Melbourne) then had to have quite significant surgery which took months of recovery. Got my first full-time job and moved to Canberra. We purchased our house 2.5 years later. Lived there for 3 years then moved to Sydney for a year. We moved back to Canberra (and same house) mid last year and have been here since.

20. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I was 20, it was 1994 and I had $14,000 saved as a deposit for an inner city 2 Bed unit. No FHB back then apart from reduced stamp duty. Once I moved out I didn’t want to keep moving in and out from my parents like my older sisters were. My mortgage repayments were similar to rent. After a few months I rented a room out which paid for half the mortgage. I had it half paid off within a couple of years by putting in extra payments, bought well, scrubbed /painted and prices rose a bit.
    I’ve made some inquiries hoping my 19 year old could do a similar thing in about a year. She owns outright a $17,000 car and has $15,000 in savings. She can only borrow $100,000 and can’t take renting out a room as income for borrowing purposes. I think she’ll need a couple more pay rises before she’ll be able to think about buying so she’ll probably be here for a couple of years while she finishes her traineeship.